House Church Talk - house baptisms

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 16:11:59 EST 2004

Hi David,

You wrote:"I don't believe in baptizing infants either, but I have
considered the arguments before and like Cliff, I am not sure you appreciate
the presuppositions involved....It (that one cannot make disiples of
infants) is a presupposition because the argument from those who baptize
infants is that we bring infants into covenant with God through our parental
authority.  Therefore, we do make them disciples of Christ simply by virtue
of the fact that we are their parents.  In Judaism,this was commanded in the
form of circumcision on the 8th day.  The infant has no choice in being a
Jew.  He was born into it and circumcised.  In the same way, it is argued
that parents can baptize their infants as a sign of the covenant their
children have with God through the authority of their own covenant with God.
  The Scriptures teach that our children are sanctified by the believing
parent (e.g., 1 Corinthians 7:14).  This is the basis for infant baptism."

I am well aware of what those who practice infant baptism believe. Have
worked among such people for years.  But the idea you have expressed i.e.
"that we bring infants into covenant with God through our parental
authority" is a concept totally foreign to scripture and nowhere in
scripture associated with baptism!

I had written:"It is evident regarding all the household baptisms in
scripture that all that were baptized believed."

To which you responded:"That is not evident at all.  That is a
presupposition of the clearest
>kind.  If a document turned up indicating that the jailer had a 6 month
>infant in his household who also was baptized, it would not contradict the
>Bible but it would contradict the presupposition that infants did not
>participate in baptisms."

David, as I clearly showed in my previous post, scripture does demonstrate
that all those who were baptized within households BELIEVED!  So such a
document about which you hypothesize above certainly WOULD contradict the
Bible!

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce