House Church Talk - Article on Purpose Driven

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Sun Jul 18 10:20:08 EDT 2004

"Dan Beaty" <dlbeaty at copper.net> wrote:

>But sometimes I see reactions that are worse in the end. Like so many
>Christians even in HC who feel no sense of purpose at all. Some are into
>just "hanging out" and living in the fear that what we are doing might even
>grow beyond our little "intimate" group, or develop the least degree of
>structure
>
>Moses had a  mission, Ezra, Nehemiah, John the Baptist, Jesus and Paul all
>were very consumed with their sense of God's purpose in their earthly
>existence. If we take the author of the article's advice to enter a period
>of prayer, Bible study and quiet reflection, I believe the Lord can bring us
>to a balanced position where we can fulfill His purpose HIS WAY.

I would tend to agree with you, Dan, as to the idea of caution.  "Ministries"
that set themselves up as judges over all the rest of the church can be easily
misled into condemning what God Himself is doing.

Genuine discernment is a fine and good thing, a very necessary part of
Christian growth and life.  But while we may do well to allow a specific group
or church (such as Discernment Ministries) to alert us to *potential* error,
we must be careful not to simply follow along automatically the "discernment"
of others.  Some will "discern" that anything other than the KJV is not really
God's Word. Some will even "discern" that women who wear make-up, pants, wigs,
or fingernail polish are godless sinners.

True discernment is the working of God's Holy Spirit in believers.  It?s a
ministry of God Himself that works in us for the good of the whole church.

It is not a tool intended to keep a specific group of believers pure and
separate from all the other "bad" believers in the body of Christ.  Yet I've
met several separatist Baptists, for example, who, in the name of discernment,
cut themselves off from all contact and fellowship with all other Baptists,
and from all other believers.  You cannot be right with God unless you?re a
member of their organization.

Who among us is perfect in faith, in doctrine, in obedience?  Yet these types
of believers often feel, and firmly believe, that they alone are perfect and
pure in their doctrinal stance.  And they "discern" error in anyone who
differs from them -- in any way at all.

Such attitudes and prejudice against God's people is not the working of God's
Spirit.  That?s simply how we all are, when we assign greater value to our own
ideas than to the grace of God that works to call ordinary sinners to Himself.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I know that my doctrines do not save or
keep me.  I am saved and kept by grace alone, through faith in Jesus Christ
our Lord.

Jim