House Church Talk - There can not be male and female1

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 17:34:12 EDT 2004

Hi Mike,
You referred to Miriam and Deborah as leaders of men, but this is not so!
Miriam was a prophetess and Deborah was a prophetess and a judge.

You seem to have used Micah 6:4 as the basis of your theory that Miriam was
a leader of men. But Exodus 15:20  demonstrates that she lead women and not
men! " And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in
her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with
dances."

I had  suggested that if you were going to use old covenant examples (Miriam
and Deborah) to attempt to teach female leadership of men under the new
covenant, you should also be consistent and use old covenant priesthood and
sanctified buildings to teach new covenant clerisy and the use of church
buildings!

You responded:"The priesthood was established after the people rejected God,
and requested a mediator between them and God other then God Himself as the
only mediator. Let's not get side tracked by the things nether of us support
or know is God's true will for us. I use the Old as well as New Testament
verses to show that it is God who chooses, His authority not that of men or
woman. He chooses the vessels, that meet His criteria, and we should not
fight against Him choosing the vessels He will choose."

Dear Mike, I fail to see in scripture what you have suggested. Can you tell
us when the people rejected God and requested a mediator?  Can you also tell
us when God established priesthood???

When I wrote:"Priests under the old covenant were all males of the tribe of
Levi, but  under the new covenant, all believers are priests regardless of
gender.", you responded:"Yes, God desires all as priests regardless of
gender, I couldn't agree more. He also desires all to be performing priestly
duties, a priest is for priestly duties. Your not really a priest if you are
not performing priestly duties."

But Mike, priestly duties have nothing to do with leadership! Priests' main
function is to minister to the Lord! (Exodus 28:1,3,4 and 41) In the new
covenant language of I Peter 2:5 and 9, priests'
responsibilities are to:"offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by
Jesus Christ" and to "shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out
of darkness into his marvellous light:"
Such ministry is the opportunity and responsibility of every new covenant
priest, whether male or female!  No priest (male or female) has to be a
leader or office holder to function as a priest.

I hope this helps to clarify a few points of our discussion.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce