House Church Talk - Annotated Bible Recommendation

Sean Kelly seank at microsoft.com
Tue May 11 22:51:26 EDT 2004

1 John 2:27 says, "As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him."

I've had a Ryrie Study Bible for over 20 years but more and more, I'm leaning away from any kind of helps. Don't get me wrong, I have a Strongs, Vines and so forth, but they are separate books that I refer to only when I believe the Lord is leading me to dig deeper. Our walk with Christ is about a relationship and it's too easy to slide into learning about God with notes, cross references, helps, maps, etc. The more important question is what is God revealing to you in scripture, not what has He revealed to others. It's all about a relationship.

Romans 10:17 says, "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ."

That word of Christ is the spoken, revealed word of Christ <rhema>, not the written word of Christ <logos>. Our focus in reading the written word of Christ should be to hear the spoken word of Christ to us in it.

Just my two cents,
SeanK