House Church Talk - speaking

David Miller David at innglory.org
Fri May 14 14:49:03 EDT 2004

Tim Poole wrote:
> Galatians 3:28 There is not Male or Female, For you are
> ALL ONE in Christ.  Is this in practice or is this just
> a theory?

The idea is unity, not necessarily the same function.  The Holy Spirit
is one with Jesus, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not
forgivable, whereas blasphemy against Jesus is.  One should not try and
argue that blasphemy against either is the same thing because they are
"one."

In this particular passage, it says that slaves and free are both one in
Christ, but this does not mean that the relationship between slaves and
their masters has been done away.  Employers and employees will continue
to have a different relationship to one another, even though they are
one in Christ.  Adults and children will continue to differ in how they
relate to one another also, even though they are one in Christ.  Saying
that male and female are one in Christ does not mean that men should
treat women the same way that they treat men, or vice versa.

Tim Poole wrote:
> 1Cor.14:34 says" Women be silent as the LAW says."
> Have you noticed any laws in our culture that
> demands this?

The law he is referring to is the law of Moses, the Torah.  If you read
the passage in 1 Timothy 2, Paul actually quotes from the Torah there to
explain in more detail what he is talking about in 1 Cor. 14.

NASB:
1Ti 2:11  A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire
submissiveness.
1Ti 2:12  But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over
a man, but to remain quiet.
1Ti 2:13  For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve.
1Ti 2:14  And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being
deceived, fell into transgression.
1Ti 2:15  But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if
they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

Verse 13 refers to Adam first being created.  Where do we learn that?
The Torah (the Law).

Verse 14 says that Adam was not deceived, but the woman was.  Where do
we learn that?  The Torah (the Law).

Verse 15 mentions that women can be saved from the curse of the law that
brought suffering in childbirth, if they live a holy life.  This is a
reference to the Law, specifically, Gen. 3:16.  The latter part of Gen.
3:16 reminds the woman, "your desire will be for your husband, And he
will rule over you."  This was not part of the curse, but a reminder of
what got the woman into trouble in the first place.  She led instead of
followed the man.

>From the Law, we learn that woman was created FROM man and FOR man.
This concept of the Law clearly indicates an order, that man is the head
of the woman, and that woman should submit unto the man.  This is the
concept that Paul is teaching in passages like 1 Cor 14:34 and 1 Tim.
2:12.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.