House Church Talk - No books by Jesus

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 22:50:03 EDT 2004

Hi Claire,

You wrote:"Don't you think it is interesting that Jesus didn't personally
pen any books or writings?  He didn't leave his followers a detailed program
to follow to make sure they did it right?  He wrote in their hearts and left
the Holy Spirit to continue with them.  He let those who encountered him
each tell their stories.  Comments?"

Reading your post reminded me of the following:

THE INCOMPARABLE CHRIST
More than nineteen hundred years ago, there was a Man born contrary to the
laws of life. This Man lived in poverty and was reared in obscurity. He did
not travel extensively. Only once did He cross the boundary of the country
in which He lived; that was during His exile in childhood.

He possessed neither wealth nor influence. His relatives were inconspicuous
and had neither training nor formal education.

In infancy He startled a king; in childhood He puzzled doctors; in manhood
He ruled the course of nature, walked upon the waves as pavement, and hushed
the sea to sleep.

He healed the multitudes without medicine and made no charge for His
service.

He never wrote a book, and yet perhaps all the libraries of the world could
not hold the books that have been written about Him.

He never wrote a song, and yet He has furnished the theme for more songs
than all the songwriters combined.

He never founded a college, but all the schools put together cannot boast of
having as many students.

He never marshaled an army, nor drafted a soldier, nor fired a gun; and yet
no leader ever had more volunteers who have, under His orders, made more
rebels stack arms and surrender without a shot fired.

He never practiced psychiatry, and yet He has healed more broken hearts than
all the doctors far and near.

Once each week multitudes congregate at worshiping assemblies to pay homage
and respect to Him.

The names of the past, proud statesmen of Greece and Rome have come and
gone. The names of the past scientists, philosophers, and theologians have
come and gone. But the name of this Man multiplies more and more. Though
time has spread nineteen hundred years between the people of this generation
and the mockers at His crucifixion, He still lives. His enemies could not
destroy Him, and the grave could not hold Him.

He stands forth upon the highest pinnacle of heavenly glory, proclaimed of
God, acknowledged by angels, adored by saints, and feared by devils, as the
risen, personal Christ, our Lord and Savior.

However, tha fact that He never wrote a book does not mean that His
disciples were left without a definite "curriculum" to follow!  He had left
them with about 50 commands (recorded throughout the Gospels) which they
were to teach their disciples to observe.  About half of those commands have
to do with one's relationship to God and the other half have to do with
one's relationship to people. So we can see that it was not rituals or
"programs" but rather right relationships with one's Maker and with other
people that were His priorities!

He never wrote  or penned a book, but He certainly was the Author of all the
scriptures and so all of the instructions which we have in the Bible are
profictable for doctrine (to teach us how to live), for reproof (to show us
where and when we've gone wrong), for correction (to show us how to get
"back on track") and for instruction in righteousness (to keep us on the
right path).

You see, apart from the scriptures (inspired by the Spirit of God) and our
obedience to  their instructions, men and women of God could not be perfect
(mature) and furnished for all good works.  II Tim.3:16,17

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce