House Church Talk - No books by Jesus

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Tue May 18 20:27:01 EDT 2004

     Blessings in the Lamb to all readers,

>Don't you think it is interesting that Jesus didn't personally pen any
>books or writings?  He didn't leave his followers a detailed program to
>follow to make sure they did it right?  He wrote in their hearts and left
>the Holy Spirit to continue with them.  He let those who encountered him
>each tell their stories.  Comments?

That's a very interesting observation, sister. And even those books
written by the apostles of Jesus have crumbled into dust, at least in
their original form. With their "golden plates," the Mormons really got
an edge on the rest of us.... I speak as a fool. ;-p

Think of this: And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the
which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world
itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. John
21:25

Jesus always said it was best to have others praise you. He was,
nonetheless, quite concerned about a book - the book of the Old
Testament, to which he frequently referred with the highest esteem.

A few in his day seemed to make an idol of the scriptures but the biggest
prob of the scribes and Pharisees was their rejection of Jesus. Not all
rejected him, but most did, I must add.

     --------------------------

Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand
the scriptures.

Matt. 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the
scriptures, nor the power of God.

       David Anderson

See also:
Matt. 21:42	Matt. 26:54	Matt. 26:56	Mark 12:24	Mark 14:49	Luke 24:27	Luke 2
4:32		Mark 12:10	Mark 15:28	Luke 4:21	John 2:22	John 5:39
John 7:38	John 7:42	John 10:35	John 13:18	John 17:12	John 19:24	John 19:28
John 19:36	John 19:37	John 20:9

Consider all these texts about the scriptures being fulfilled: There is
here revealed an incredible pattern of behavior on the part of the LIVING
WORD.

Matt. 1:22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was
spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

Matt. 2:15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be
fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of
Egypt have I called my son.

Matt. 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might
be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a
Nazarene.

Matt. 4:14 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the
prophet, saying,

Matt. 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot
or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Matt. 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the
prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Matt. 12:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the
prophet, saying,

Matt. 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet,
saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have
been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Matt. 21:4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken
by the prophet, saying,

Matt. 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till
all these things be fulfilled.

Matt. 26:54 But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it
must be?

Matt. 26:56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets
might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

Matt. 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting
lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They
parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

Mark 13:4 Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign
when all these things shall be fulfilled?

Mark 14:49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and ye took me
not: but the scriptures must be fulfilled.

Luke 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are
written may be fulfilled.

Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led
away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the
Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away,
till all be fulfilled.

Luke 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto
you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which
were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms,
concerning me.

John 12:38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled,
which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the
arm of the Lord been revealed?

John 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that
the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted
up his heel against me.

John 15:25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that
is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name:
those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the
son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

John 18:9 That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them
which thou gavest me have I lost none.

John 18:32 That the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he spake,
signifying what death he should die.

John 19:24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but
cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be
fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my
vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

John 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now
accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

John 19:36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be
fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.

Years after its fulfillment by our Lord, Paul reminds Timothy that it was
the Old Testament which had made him "wise unto Salvation."

And another personal favorite: And beginning at Moses and all the
prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things
concerning himself. Luke 24:27

Claire, you made a very valid point, I then went on a tangent. Next time
I'll be shorter. Over the years I have encountered several in cyber-space
who seemed to manifest a love/hate relationship towards the written word.
One day, they act as if is Pharisaical to ever consider it - the next
day, they are boasting about how many Bibles they have worn out.

        in the Christ, your friend,

             David Anderson