House Church Talk - Re: Yet another newspaper article...

RoyalHeirling at aol.com RoyalHeirling at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 08:02:50 EST 2004

Greetings!

Thank you for all of the responses. I hear what you are saying. But I haven't
yet heard Biblical reasons for leaving--assuming there are those who left
because they were directed by God and not of the rebellious group mentioned in
the replies.

Here's my difficulty. We are not to lean to our own understanding. And, we
are to acknowledge God in all our ways. If leaving your church was the will of
God then there ought to be some manifest leading. It can't be based solely on
feelings, or the leading of the "spirit". Even the spirit that leads us must be
tested by scripture so that we can discern which spirit is leading us.

In my own experience, as a very young "Christian," I was very critical of the
walk of others. I thought almost everyone in the church was a sinner (and,
indeed they are prone to sin). I was especially critical of the leadership. At
the same time, I was doing nothing to help. I was only criticizing their
efforts. Later I learned this was not a Christian attitude but stemmed from
self-righteousness. I thought, if I can do so well following God's will, why can't
others? And I judged them based on my own righteousness. We don't want to be
saying, "I thank God I am not like him," or her, or them. When we more fully
appreciate the holiness of God and the righteousness of Jesus, then by comparison,
we see ourselves in a truer light--naked, weak, dirty, blind, helpless,
hopeless, poor, wretched, and evil to the core. It is a wonder how this
self-righteous attitude can exist today when no one today acknowledges that we can, by
God's power, overcome the lusts of this world. It is an oxymoron. So, I hope no
one here left for these reasons--"I can't associate with sinners."

Having ruled out self-righteousness as the reason for leaving the churches,
let's look at some Biblical reasons I have found. Please feel free to add to
this list if you know of other Biblical reasons for leaving.

1) We are not to associate with fornicators.

I think this refers to open fornication. Yet, I think the fornicator is to be
expelled from the church so that he gets the message that he must repent and
desist.

2) We are thrown out.

This one is obvious. You can't force yourself upon them. But, what if we were
thrown out because we raised so much trouble. I once knew about a group of
"Christian" who sang so loudly so as to annoy people. They brought persecution
upon themselves in this way and then patted themselves on the back that they
must be godly because of the persecution. So, if we bring about our expulsion
because we can't get along with others, well, enough said.

3) "Come out of her My people."

This must be doctrinally based in its intent due to the proceeding verses
about the "wine of the wrath of her fornication" and the enormity of her iniquity
even "reaching to heaven." These people are not purifying themselves because
they have not believed, or perhaps, not heard, the true gospel as it is in
Jesus. Thus, they follow a false religion with false doctrines, a false god with
false hope. Terrible! But the call does come for them to come out. Hope they
hear!

Just so you know a little about me. I was baptized in the fall of 1995. I was
baptized in an IC but had been attending home church in the mountains above
Bakersfield, California. I was happy to be with that group for a time, but
gradually they fell back into the main focus which was criticizing the church.
They spent a good portion of their time reassuring themselves that they had it
all together while the IC--which, by the way threw them out because they were
trouble makers--was the pit of iniquity, the "Babylon" of Revelation. As I
sought after God, the line between us grew wider until I separated myself from them
entirely. At this point, they became very bold in manifesting their true
purpose for unity. Now I still attend what you would call an IC. I attend the
Seventh-day Adventist church in Virginia. Does this church have it's share of
problems? Sure, they all do. But I do see a brotherhood and a desire to follow
God's will. We all need the companionship of others. It helps to keep the flock
going in a straighter line when they all press together for the good of each
other. When one strays left or right, the body brings them back to center. It
guards against fanaticism and extremism.

I have been participating and lurking here at House Church Talk  for years. How many,
David? I don't recall, but certainly over 5 years.

Now, back to something else I have witnessed. There are those who are
"preaching" for others to leave the IC because of various reasons, mostly for the
fact it is an established religion. I don't see this message coming from God.
There is a message to come out of her [Babylon], but as I said earlier, this is
doctrinally based. When I heard this one fellow preach the hc "come out"
message it sounded more like a self-righteous works, as if salvation was to be found
in separating oneself from one type of organization and joining a "better"
one. Is there any hope in a works-based religion? No, of course not. The IC is
presented as evil merely because of its organizational characteristics. Nothing
is ever said about its teachings [doctrines]. We need to look at the
doctrines. Do they promote spiritual growth out of sin and into purity in Jesus? Or,
do they, as Revelation points out, allow the adherents to retain all of their
worldliness--not being different from those in the world--and promise them a
false hope? This is what I believe is the issue in Revelation's message, "Come
out of her." We need to come out and hear the good news. The good news is,
after all, that Jesus died to save us from our sins. He wants to present us
spotless and without blemish. We should be pressing onward toward this high calling
instead of being content to remain servants of sin.

That's what I believe the call in Revelation is all about. It is not to leave
a hierarchical organization to join a loosely banded group of home
churches--though I am not saying the hc could not provide the needed environment to
press onward. What I am questioning is the intent of each hc. Is their intent to
leave "Babylon" and all of its false doctrines [the wine that produces wrath
that the whole world is drinking]? Or, is their intent to leave a well-organized
religious system to join a "dis"-organized group of believers? Personally, I
think there is a mixture of both.

Please don't think I am here to criticize you or the hc. I have identified
myself with you. I am only raising these questions so we can take a closer look
at ourselves, as others see us, and grow in unity of purpose and reasons for
our hope. Is our hope in the lack of organization? Do we believe that the
answer lies in throwing off the yoke of organized religion? Or, is our hope in
Jesus and His ability to purify each of us, to remove the enmity for His law and
bring in perfect love, to bring peace where there was punishment and guilt and
fear because of our sins, and to justify us by His blood and help us remain
just by His righteous life? Which ever it is, I think you will find it to be our
main theme. By our fruits they will know us. By the things we present most
often, others will judge as most valuable to hc. Thus, our discussion topics
will manifest our outward character to the world as a witness.

I realize this is long. A lot longer than I had intended for it to be. I
don't write often, but this question has been on my mind for years.

I also want to thank David for providing this forum for so many years and
attempting to do a good work by encouraging unity via the communications vehicle
of the Internet to these dispersed groups of believers around the world. May
God be our guide.

(If you would like to respond to this post, the question is "What Biblical
reason do we have for leaving the IC? Is it based solely on the hierarchy of the
IC, or their teachings?" There may be other opportunities to respond but this
is my focus. Please make the answer to this question your primary focus if
you wish to respond to me. Thanks.)

Sincerely,

Jeff in Richmond, VA

[God's] heart of love is touched by our sorrows and even
by our utterances of them. Take to Him everything that
perplexes the mind. Nothing is too great for Him to bear,
for He holds up worlds, He rules over all the affairs of the
universe. Nothing that in any way concerns our peace is
too small for Him to notice.