House Church Talk - We've been noticed :-)

forwarded forwarded at housechurch.org
Mon Nov 22 19:48:53 EST 2004

Saturday's Ventura County newspaper did an interview with George Barna.
Here's a part:

Barna's writing a book, untitled and due out next year, about what he
calls "the faith revolution." We have, according to Barna, two younger
generations coming along who are going to reshape the way we look at our
relationship to God and religion. He didn't want to discuss specifics --
wishing to save that for when the book comes out -- but offered some
general thoughts.

The form and activities of the church will change, he said.

"The church in 2025 will be much different than the church today," Barna
said. "It's going to be a shock to a lot of people. It's going to make
them angry that these changes are coming. But they are coming. ...You
can't stop it."

Right now, the church is about people coming to a specific place at a
specific time.

"That's going to fall by the wayside," he said. "There's going to be a
massive shift away from that. They will go to different experiences where
they still connect with God and develop their faith."

Those include things such as "house" churches, marketplace ministries,
the so-called "cyber church" where people go online for spiritual input
and output, and independent worship festivals put on not for a particular
church but rather all Christians in a region and featuring, for example,
Christian worship music acts such as the David Crowder Band and Chris
Tomlin. These types of things, he said, will be the form of religious
expression for "tens of millions of Americans."

"We have two younger generations who have a whole different idea of what
faith is and the role it plays in a person's life," he said.

Should people be troubled by this? Not yet, Barna said, shaking his head,
because "we don't know how it's going to end up."

"The biggest potential problem is the potential for widespread heresy,"
he said. "Or (in the alternative) it could bring about a renaissance in
biblical and religious thought."

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/religion_and_ethics/article/0,1375,VCS
_151_3340898,00.html