House Church Talk - public meetings

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 03:33:21 EDT 2004

Hi Folks,

I've been following this discussion the last few days and have a few
comments and questions:

First of all, Dan, if your questions about increasing visibility of house
churches is to get other BELIEVERS to see house churches as  viable,
profitable and scriptural places to gather for edification, I'm all for it.
If we can invite other believers into our homes for hospitality,
encouragement, fellowship etc, what opportunities we have for interactive,
participatory, one anothering ministry which many will not even think of as
"church"!!

However, if house churches seek to have public church meetings in order to
evangelize the unconverted, I really wonder if we understand the scrioptural
purposes of church meetings at all!

I have known house church gatherings which are primarily focused on reaching
the unconverted and winning them to Christ.  But in the process the meetings
get very program oriented and  spontaneous, participatory, one-anothering
ministry suffers and breaking of bread in remembrance of the Lord Jesus is
rare or non-existent!

Please don't assume that I am against evangelism! I'm not! But I believe
that Gospel outreach is to be done in places where unbelievers gather or are
found of their own accord.  (Fishermen go fishing where they know the fish
are found. They do not invite fish to jump into "aquariums"!  Farmers sow
their seed on prepared soil in the fields. They do not gather soil into the
granary and expect a plentiful harvest!)  Are not believers sent OUT INTO
THE WORLD with the Gospel as SHEEP AMONG WOLVES?

However, edification of believers, is always most effective when SAINTS
gather together around their Lord to minister to one another.(Shepherds most
effectively care for sheep IN FLOCKS, when wolves are kept OUT OF THE FOLD!)

So, from my study of the the scriptures, I'm convinced that EVANGELISM is
best accomplished in PUBLIC  places by believers SCATTERING  into many
places to do their FISHING. However, EDIFICATION of believers is best
accomplished when SHEPHERDING is done by GATHERING sheep into PRIVATE
gatherings (homes).

Are not evangelists compared in scripture to fishermen, and sowers of seed?
Are not elders among the Lord's people compared to shepherds caring for
sheep?

Has anyone else noticed that both evangelism and edification of the saints
suffer whenever we attempt to "catch fish in a pasture" or "tend sheep on a
fishing boat"??   Were fishing and shepherding (evangelizing the lost and
edifying the saints) ever intended by God to be simultaneous pursuits in the
same gathering??

I'd be interested to hear others perspectives on these things.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce