House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 13 16:03:04 EDT 2004

Hi Dan,

I greatly appreciate the scriptural focus that your note provided. One of my
present goals, which is normally important to a blind man, is to remember
where things are, or at least their general location!

At the time of Paul's writing, there were few Christians much more than
twenty years old in the Lord. This is what we call an accident in Scripture,
in that it was not a product of a specific action (that we can tell) - some
might call it a coincidence. Yet with the God who knows the end from the
beginning and doesn't just control things so they don't get out of hand,
there is no such thing. I tend to favor the spiritual maturity view as being
what the Bible means, but I know that this is a conclusion of convenience,
not complusion.

God can do anything that is holy. We can have the fun of trying to figure it
out, but the moment that it ceases to build the joy of our salvation, we
need to arrest our activities and examine them to see if we are trying (with
or without our awareness) to write new scriptures. Sola Scriptura is there
for a very good reason.

Please forgive me, I went off on a bit of a tangent. That is normally a sign
that I must get back to writing.

Earnestly contending,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the
full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the
schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but
against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."  Ephesians
6:10-13