House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 16 14:42:38 EDT 2004

Interesting thoughts, Dan.

Let me suggest that that the Biblical example for a position within the
church that would help the church (living bricks only, please!) deal with
its responsibilities would be that of an elder, which we understand to be a
Christian who has been given by God to pastor, teach, and counsel. Since all
authority in heaven and on earth has already been given to Jesus Christ, man
can only function as His delagate.

I often wonder if the tremendous push toward whatever organizational
structure that may exist in an IC is borne of 1 Samuel 8 -

1 And it came about when Samuel was old that he appointed his sons judges
over Israel.2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel, and the name of his
second, Abijah; they were judging in Beersheba.3 His sons, however, did not
walk in his ways, but turned aside after dishonest gain and took bribes and
perverted justice.4 Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came
to Samuel at Ramah; 5 and they said to him, "Behold, you have grown old, and
your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint a king for us to judge us
like all the nations." 6 But the thing was displeasing in the sight of
Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us." And Samuel prayed to
the LORD. 7 The LORD said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in
regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they
have rejected Me from being king over them. 8 "Like all the deeds which they
have done since the day that I brought them up from Egypt even to this
day-in that they have forsaken Me and served other gods-so they are doing to
you also. 9 "Now then, listen to their voice; however, you shall solemnly
warn them and tell them of the procedure of the king who will reign over
them." 10 So Samuel spoke all the words of the LORD to the people who had
asked of him a king. 11 He said, "This will be the procedure of the king who
will reign over you: he will take your sons and place them for himself in
his chariots and among his horsemen and they will run before his chariots.
12 "He will appoint for himself commanders of thousands and of fifties, and
some to do his plowing and to reap his harvest and to make his weapons of
war and equipment for his chariots. 13 "He will also take your daughters for
perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14 "He will take the best of your fields and
your vineyards and your olive groves and give them to his servants. 15 "He
will take a tenth of your seed and of your vineyards and give to his
officers and to his servants. 16 "He will also take your male servants and
your female servants and your best young men and your donkeys and use them
for his work. 17 "He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves
will become his servants. 18 "Then you will cry out in that day because of
your king whom you have chosen for yourselves, but the LORD will not answer
you in that day." 19 Nevertheless, the people refused to listen to the voice
of Samuel, and they said, "No, but there shall be a king over us, 20 that we
also may be like all the nations, that our king may judge us and go out
before us and fight our battles." 21 Now after Samuel had heard all the
words of the people, he repeated them in the LORD'S hearing. 22 The LORD
said to Samuel, "Listen to their voice and appoint them a king." So Samuel
said to the men of Israel, "Go every man to his city."

Is this a perfect model for the IC or not? ANd does it not reflect the heart
of men in this world to so deliberately reject the word of God, even when
directly spoken by Him, to His face?  I Regret that I have done that myself,
and prayer that the Holy Spirit would keep me mindful of my need to repent
when such raises its head to attempt to make me stumble.

Earnestly contending, your borther in Christ.,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the
full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the
schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but
against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."  Ephesians
6:10-13