House Church Talk - The Doctrines of Grace

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 27 13:34:48 EDT 2004

I thought I'd posted the following a few days ago, but realized this morning
when reading Gary's post that I must have goofed! Sorry for this being so
belated!
***************************
Hi David,
You wrote:
>I seriously doubt that people would join a list as this to engage in the
>Arminian/Calvinist debate which has gone on already for hundreds of
>years...

You are absolutely right! I wouldn't join any list to discuss such a topic.
But enjoying what scripture says about grace, I recalled some recent
references here to the doctrines of grace and thought a consideration of
scriptural statements in contrast to statements of men could be edifying.

>Let's pick this up "off list" if you are interested in so doing. Here is
>the link:
>
>     https://housechurch.org/ubb_hc/ultimatebb.php/topic/15/1.html

Great idea! I've already made a post there and if others have an interest we
can commence a discussion there.

>As you may expect this debate isn't settled by just quoting a few verses.
>Oh, I know, I know, your position should be soooo obvious to others. LOL.

Almost any false doctrine can find some support in an isolated text of
scripture!

>Personally, I do not claim either to be an Arminian or a Calvinist and I
>doubt that either of these men would be pleased to have a following so
>called. Certainly the scriptures do not encourage such names.

Niether do I, although I once claimed to be a "3 point Calvinist"!!!  But do
not now claim to hold to any doctrine which is not found stated in words of
scripture and is balanced by it's near and distant context IN the
scriptures.

>Regardless of your position on the "doctrines of grace" you are truly
>welcome on this list.

If I have communicated a spirit of animosity toward those of a different
perspective, I would ask my brothers and  sisters, Would you please forgive
me?   That was not at all my motive or attitude of heart. A great deal of
what I've learned over the years has been the direct result of other people
caring enough to differ with me! Those who agree with me or believe the same
things as I do have never taught me anything! But they have often reinforced
things I believed which were wrong! I trust that for that reason alone we
might welcome anyone here regardless of their position on any doctrine and
test all things by scripture as the Bereans of old. (Acts 17:11)

In Christ,
Bruce