House Church Talk - inclination toward ceremonial

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 17:26:25 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Was it Dan or Gleen that referred to believers' baptism as something that
some think of as "ceremonial" and thus something to be done away with?
(Sorry, I deleted more of my e-mails than I intended before responding to
this one!)

I believe that just as Israel (even before the old covenant was given at
Sinai) had three symbolic physical practices given by God to be observed by
them forever which would mark them out as  distinct from all other peoples,
so too there are 3 God-given symbolic physical practices that are to mark
out new covenant saints from all others.

Those practices for Israel are: (1) Circumcision (a one time act of
initiation), (2) The Passover ( an annual memorial meal and (3) The keeping
of the 7th day sabbath rest ( a continual weekly observance).

The three practices for new covenant saints all have two parts (the one is
meaningless without the other!)

One has to do with the DEAD, AND THE LIVING: By immersion in and emergence
from water, Baptism portrays death burial and resurrection. It is a one time
act shortly after salvation which testifies to our UNION with Him.

The next  has to do with the BREAD AND THE CUP: The Lord's Supper (breaking
the bread and drinkling the cup) is a regular memorial meal which
demonstrates our COMMUNION in the body and blood of our Saviour.

The third has to do with our HEAD AND OUR HAIR:  The man's hair kept from
growing long and the woman's hair allowed to grow long demonstrate the GLORY
of our Head (Christ) and avoids SHAME. The man's head that is uncovered
while he prays or prophesies and the woman's head which is covered while she
prays or prophesies demonstrates the HONOR of our Head (Christ) and avoids
DISHONOR.  Since God has crowned Christ with GLORY and HONOR (Hebrews 2:9),
we are obedient to and demonstrating our submission to His HEADSHIP as we do
the same.

None of these are "rituals" or "rites", but can be empty, meaningless and,
in fact, counterproductive if the real truths which they demonstrate are not
true in us and in our behaviour!

The baptism of an unconverted person, the partaking of the Lord's Supper by
a believer who denies communion with God by living in unconfessed and
unjudged sin, and obedience to outward instructions realtive to one's head
and hair by one who has no desire for Christ to exercise His headship in
their life are all counterproductive actions!!!

But when obedience from the heart expresses itself in obedience to commands
relative to physical actions there is a God-honoring consistency and
integrity in the life.

O, that Godly consistency and integrity would be much more of a hallmark in
my life than it is!!

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce