House Church Talk - dealing with evil

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Thu Sep 2 09:16:08 EDT 2004

I never cease to be amazed at the seemingly educated people who claim that
there is no sin, no evil in the world. All around us (unless we live at the
center of Antarctica) there are robberies, murders, adulteries, child abuse,
cheating, hatred, sexual perversions of every kind, violence over silly
arguments, enraged cursing, and more than I care to list here. This world is
filled with sin and evil. Our own lives are often plagued by evil.

Thankfully, the Lord Jesus does not leave us in the dark about the evil that
would destroy our lives. When asked to show them how to pray, our Lord Jesus
Christ told His disciples to ask the Father to, "...deliver us from evil..."

The fact is, there is one and only One who can deliver us from evil. And we
ourselves are not that one. Granted, we have power over individual sins, to
avoid them, to resist them, to turn aside from temptation and go another way.
 But in our own selves, we do not have the power to rid ourselves of the evil
that clings to us and saturates all of human life on this planet. Only God can
rid us of that evil.

As mentioned above, Jesus tells us to pray to the Father, asking Him to
deliver us from evil -- and from the evil one. And we would do well, no matter
who we are, or how highly we think of ourselves, to pray earnestly for just
such a deliverance.

Only God is good. That's another thing Jesus tells us. There is none good but
God. And because Jesus was walking among us as a mere man, and most people
thought of Him only as a man, He would not even say that He Himself was good.
Jesus was truly sinless and perfect, but He did not want to confuse us, or to
make any room for the idea that some human beings might be good in themselves.

So then we know from our Lord Jesus that only God is good. Only God the Father
can deliver us from evil.

We need to be delivered from the evil that issues forth from our own hearts.
That's another thing Jesus teaches, by the way.

He said that sin and all impurity comes from within us, from our very hearts.
This is what He said, "What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from
within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries,
fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an
evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from
within and defile a man." (Mark 7: 20-23)

Deliver us from evil, O Lord.

As human beings, we need the power of God in our daily lives. Just as we're
urged by the Lord Jesus to pray for our daily bread, so also we need to ask
God -- daily -- to deliver us from evil. Why? Because it's there, all around
us, and welling up within our very own hearts, always ready and waiting to
overtake us, ready to snare us, to ruin us and defile us.

We cannot simply make a resolution, a decision to always be good from now on.
We need to Lord of heaven and earth to rescue us, to deliver us, to rid us of
that which is a part of our very nature: the evil that is behind every sin.

Lord God, deliver us all, I pray, from evil.

And then there's the matter of owing and forgiving. All of us are deeply
indebted to God, deeply overdrawn on all accounts, deeply in need of a very
great forgiveness. But we're powerless to make things right. We cannot repay
Him. We're powerless to cover the vast mountains of personal debts.

What can we do? We can only kneel before the Lord of heaven and earth,
confessing Jesus Christ as our Rescuer.

The Lord Jesus is our Savior, the Mighty One who saves us from all sin by His
own shed blood. Jesus, the righteous Son of God died on a cross for sin. And
He is the only good hope we have before a truly good and righteous God, for
the Lord is a genuinely fair and even-handed Judge. If we try to stand on our
own merits, we will be crushed by our own sins, utterly destroyed by our own
guilt.

Thankfully, Jesus Christ is willing to stand with us, interceding on our
behalf, taking away the sin or shame that would otherwise cling to us, ruining
us in the Presence of the Almighty. The Bible teaches us that as we confess
our need of Jesus, and place all our trust in Him, the shed blood of Jesus
takes away our every sin. As we admit our debt and ask for the Lord to forgive
us, all records of our sin is taken away on our behalf. We're set free,
forgiven, released from the obligations that we could never make right in
ourselves.

But there is still one more thing that Jesus teaches us. There are the debts
that others owe us.

In the course of life, other people have become debtors to us. The ugly things
that some have said about us. They owe us an apology. They owe us the good
name they took from us when they lied about us. Yes, they owe us. And others
also owe us. Some have cheated us. Some have stolen money or goods from us.
Some have refused to give us proper credit for work or other good things we've
done.

All of these people owe us. They've wronged us, hurt us, delayed us, pushed us
aside in their eagerness for self promotion, self-gratification. Oh yes, they
owe us big time.

Jesus says that we're to take all those bills we have against others, all
those IOUs we've been collecting, and preserving, and remembering (and
cherishing), we're to take all those writs against others who owe us and tear
them up. Then we're to burn the little pieces, and then scatter the ashes, and
then plow them under and forget all about them forever.

In the same way we want and need God's forgiveness for all that we've ever
done wrong, we must forgive all the offenses that we have in our hearts toward
others. We are to forgive and forget, to make it as though they've never done
us a wrong. Wash out the old heart of every evil remembrance against others,
and let God's own forgiveness in us (by His Holy Spirit) sweep out all the old
cobwebs that still linger there. We must let God give us a new heart for
others, even as we need a new heart toward God.

In these and other ways, the Lord Jesus shows us that God will truly deliver
us from evil on every hand. He delivers from the evil that is in the world. He
delivers us from every spiritual wickedness that would devour us. He delivers
us from sin and it's terrible power. And He even delivers us from an evil
heart toward others -- other people who are sinners just as we are, sinners
who need forgiveness just as we do.

In Jesus Christ our Lord, we are delivered from all evil.  Praise be to God
for His unspeakable gift!

Jim