House Church Talk - Warning to brothers and sisters in Christ concerningfree speech

pellfamily at earthlink.net pellfamily at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 26 09:41:25 EDT 2004

Having viewed this page, scanned it briefly, and searched the term "speech,"
I have copied and pasted the only section where I could find reference to
one's speech being considered a criminal act.  It is referred to again later
in the document, in essentially the same terms:

"(j) Speech alone is not sufficient to support an action brought
pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b), except upon a showing that the
speech itself threatens violence against a specific person or group
of persons; and the person or group of persons against whom the
threat is directed reasonably fears that, because of the speech,
violence will be committed against them or their property and that
the person threatening violence had the apparent ability to carry out
the threat."

Considering that one's "religion" is also protected from discrimination, I
would think the case could be made that if someone attempts to prosecute me
based on my religious opinions, they are in fact violating my constitution
rights and thereby committing a hate crime according to SB 1234.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, just an ever-learning believer,

Ruth Pell
Quincy, CA

---