House Church Talk - HC visiblity

Sean Kelly seank at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 30 15:08:21 EDT 2004

Judging (a loaded word) from the comments so far I may not be
understanding what you are asking. But I'll go ahead and pipe up anyway.

Among the believers that I walk with up here in Washington, we have
recently been challenged with Paul's defense to Festus and King Agrippa.

"For the king knows about these matters, and I speak to him also with
confidence, since I am persuaded that none of these things escape his
notice; for this has not been done in a corner." - Acts 26:26

We realized the same thing couldn't be said of us if we had to defend
ourselves. Everything we do is in someone's home behind closed doors.
Not much different from being in an IC building behind closed (albeit
unlocked) doors. The early Christians meet in public and from house to
house. (Acts 2:46) We felt we had been neglecting the former and
perfecting the later. So we are trying a few different things along this
line of thinking.

First, one sunny Sunday (not many in Seattle) we gathered at a local
park. We prayed together for our food. Fellowshiped with each other.
Offered lighter fluid to other BBQers and generally tried to fullfil
Christ's commandment to love one another. Our time together was no less
fruitfull (spiritually) than when we meet in homes and some people
noticed.

The other thing we are trying (until the Lord leads otherwise) is
meeting in public for our Men's Bible Study. Formerly we met in a room
in a church building where some of the men attend. Now we meet in a park
next to King Charlies (a well known local greasy burger joint), or if
it's dark or cold, we go over to the local Texaco station where they
have a little in the middle of the quickmart. The surprising thing we've
seen from this is the positive response. I was brought-up to expect to
be persecuted for doing something like this. (Boy it sure felt
uncomfortable the first 3-4 times) Instead, the lady the works the swing
shift at Texaco will go out of her way to say how glad she is that we
are there. Even making a pot of fresh decaf just for us. Random people
that walk in for milk or beer either say nothing or comment how glad
they are to see men practicing their faith. It's weird.

Was that kind of what you were asking?

SeanK