House Church Talk - Was baptisms Now dispensations/ Preterism

Scott Dowlen scottdowlen at cox.net
Sun Feb 8 11:15:26 EST 2004

Dan, would you understand a phrase like this one...

"...he would go on to create the Model T... and this automobile would be the
one to revolutionize the industry"

"This automobile" in the phrase above is a completely legitimate turn of
phrase, yet there is no reason to suppose that the author is talking about a
single car sitting within pointing distance of the author. It might be more
common now to say "that automobile" and "that generation" but I don't see
that it precludes the possibility of meaning what I've suggested it means.

I am glad you're asking these questions, because it is always good to knock
the dust off old assumptions.  For example, there is/was/will be a final
seven years, but nothing in scripture gives you a final "tribulation" of
more than 3.5 years.

To me, some of the things that makes preterist view wrong are these:

1) one of the most prophesied events in scripture (2nd coming) isn't
recorded in scripture as a done deal - and Jesus in Mat thew said it would be
very spectacular.

2) The second coming would have to be in 73.5 A.D. after the 'abomination of
desolation', and not at 70 A.D. ...  or else would have had to have been 3.5
years after his first resurrection to allow a contiguous "70 weeks of
Daniel" - making the second coming closer to 37 A.D.

3) Where's the kingdom???  The present church doesn't even slightly fit the
descriptions of Christ's kingdom after his 2nd coming.

4) Where's the hope for our resurrection? I'm sure there's one there, I've
just never been taught this view.

5) Where is the battle at Megiddo (sp?) {aka Armageddon} and all the other
stuff?  With all the prophecies in Daniel, Revelation, Mat thew, etc about
this event, there sure seems to be a lot missing.

Thanks for your good questions, Dan.  I'll try to track down my quote from
the previous message, too.

Your brother,
Scott Dowlen