House Church Talk - School of prophecy known as Preterism

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Wed Feb 18 16:01:42 EST 2004

       Gentle reader,

"Preterism" means "past." It is a theological term pertaining to certain
events which other students of the Bible consider to be future events. As
house church folks are interested in going to the roots of things, I
suppose a few posts on this matter would be in order. Now and then,
inquiring people come along and have an itch to discuss prophecy. I hope
that once something is in the archives, these can just be directed there
and to the other materials on the web.

Some full Preterists believe that a "second" coming, a rapture, an
antichrist,
a tribulation, a judgment, and a resurrection, have already come.
"Partial Preterists" hold that only some of these things were already
fulfilled.

The key to prophetic understanding is, by the Holy Spirit, to let the
Bible interpret the key words and metaphors rather than reading into them
our own opinions. Above all, this is not an issue for brethren to divide
over.

Henry Alford
Andreas
Aphrahat
Thomas Aquinas
Arethas
Athanasius
Carl Auberlen
Augustine
Barnabus
Albert Barnes
BarSerapion
Beasly-Murray
Venerable Bede
John Bengel
G.C. Berkower
John Broadus
David Brown
John Brown
F.F. Bruce
George Caird
John Calvin
B.H. Carroll
Cassian
David Chilton
Chrysostom
Adam Clarke
Clemens
Clement of Rome
Conyb./Howson
Henry Cowles
Cyprianus
Gary DeMar
P.S. Desprez
Philip Doddridge
Isaak Dorner
Alfred Edersheim
Jonathan Edwards
E.B. Elliott
Epiphanes
Eusebius
Austin Farrar
F.W. Farrar
J.C. Fenton
A.R. Fausset
Geneva Notes
Ken Gentry
John Gill
W.B. Godbey
Ezra Gould
Steve Gregg
Gregory of Nyssa
Hugo Grotius
Henry Hammond
Hampden-Cook
Hengstenberg
Mat thew Henry
G.A. Henty
Samuel Hinds
Hippolytus
George Holford
Henry Hudson
Irenaeus
Apostle James
Robert Jamieson
St. Jerome
Jewish Sibylline
and Talmud
Apostle John
B.W. Johnson
Dr. Jortin
Josephus
Benjamin Jowett
Justin Martyr
Benjamin Keach
K.F. Keil
John Kelly
Kett's History
J. Marcellus Kik
Lactantius
Johann Lange
John Lightfoot
Abiel Livermore
John Locke
Thomas Manton
Philip Mauro
Melito of Sardis
Heinrich Meyer
Dale Moody
Johann Neander
William Newcome
Sir Isaac Newton
Thomas Newton
N. Nisbett
Gary North
Origenes
John Owen
Blaise Pascal
Arthur Pink
Maurus Rabanus
St. Remigius
Ernest Renan
John Robinson
Edward Robinson
Theodore Robinson
James S. Russell
Cecil Sanders
Philip Schaff
Thomas Scott
Sulpicius Severus
Dr. John Smith
C.H. Spurgeon
Dr. T.P. Stafford
William Stevens
Rudolph Stier
A.H. Strong
Moses Stuart
Milton Terry
Tertullian
Theophylact
Thomas Torrance
John Walvoord
William Warburton
Benjamin Warfield
Noah Webster
John Wesley
Richard Weymouth
William Whiston

source:
http://www.preteristarchive.bravepages.com/StudyArchive/d/demar-gary.html

The Elizabethan era puritans, my favorite writers, should also have been
listed above. There were hundreds of them who authored fine books which I
consider to be highly spiritually edifying, at least to me.

So, does consensus lead us to truth? Not at all, but there is sometimes
safety in the proverbial multitude of counselors. Prov. 11:14. I site
these names merely to counter the view that Preterism is so obviously
dumb that nobody would hold to it.

I now have some equipment failures and bugs to squash. And I'm upgrading
to Mac OS 10. Be back asap. Blessings!

    David Anderson