House Church Talk - House church or simply church wherever people are

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Wed Jul 28 09:05:03 EDT 2004

Dan G,

Thanks for hearing me out and your honest response. We are in a tough
position when it comes to challenging the legitimacy of someones livelyhood.

But first of all I am thinking of our communications in this forum and in
our meetings. We need to  affirm the true gift of shepherd in the church
while we reject the right of a man to dominate the gathering of saints.

Therefore, someone in this forum or visiting a meeting would have not cause
to think that we believe and live contrary to God's clear plan and purpose
for His church. What I fear, however, is that some in HC, in their reaction
to the ceo/pastor, have actually rejected ANY kind of pastoring or
leadership in the Body of Christ. Hey, some have even rejected the idea of
any kind of regular meetings!

Getting back to your dialog with people in the IC and those in the HC that
continue in the old system mentality. This is very difficult. In my
experience, everything I try to express to them is usually taken the wrong
way.

A paradigm shift is necessary, I think. Passages in the Old and New
Testament are easily seen by them to confirm the existence of the single
pastor system. Even the the post NT documents can be used, because the
concept of single bishop over each church was being developed by then.

Maybe the most convincing argument we can offer is the Lord's work in our
midst as we strive to live and worship together under His Lordship?

Dan Beaty
Columbus, Ohio
www.livingtruth.com