House Church Talk - speaking

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 04:11:00 EDT 2004

Hi Tim,

Re. the NIV footnote on I Cor 11, you wrote: "This is not my words. You dont
have an argument with me. This is an optional translation of the same. Do
you not consider the possibility this could be a valid optional meaning?"

Brother,  a valid translation is one that is true to the text!  I
demonstrated, in my previous post, 4 simple reasons why such a reading is
contrary to the text of scripture!

You continued:"Not only that, you may be taking non-essentials and elevating
them to pre-eminence which in my opinion may be considered a false balance.
If this is your practice, in my opinion, you have alienated yourself from
this present culture and incured the rebuke that Paul states in 1Cor.14:23
that the unbeliever or culture would think your mad?"

I have never claimed that the teaching and practice of I Cor.11 is essential
to salvation! But obedience to any known command of scripture IS ESSENTIAL
to having fellowship with God and to being taught further truth by God!  (I
John 1:6,7 and Mark 11:27-33)  Also, linking obedience to I Cor 11 with
speaking in uninterpretted tongues as in 14:23 is quite a leap!   Did you
notice that it is disobedience to specific divine instructions in ch.14 that
would cause the unbelievers to conclude that the saints were mad?  Did you
notice that it is obedience to divine instructions in the same chapter that
would bring conviction upon the unbelievers?

You also wrote:" My sincere apologies if your outreach is to Muslims and
Amish. If not, sorry cant see it. Just my perspective of course, but seeing
the ones on this list that agree with you, its very likely outreach (great
commision) is not a part of the mindset here. Im sorry, but Jesus (Good
news) + bondage (Bad news) doesnt reach many people in my area of the
country."

You assume that the instructions of I Cor 11:1-16 are culturally
conditioned, but fail to take into account that Paul's own instructions
given under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God were completely
contrary to his own Jewish culture in which men always covered their heads
while praying and prophesying (and still do 2000 years later)!  You also
fail to account for the fact that all the reasons given by Paul for the
practices in this chapter are from creation, not culture!  Also, I'm not
sure where you would get the idea that obedience to divine instructions is
equal to bondage!  Actually, obedience to God is the only road to liberty
(the ability to be and do what God intends) and deliverance from bondage!
(the inability to be and do what God intends.)

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce