House Church Talk - Riddle me this.

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Fri Dec 12 11:42:53 EST 2003

      Hi all,

Here for your consideration are a few fascinating paragraphs about the
small group meetings which the Wesleyans set up in the 1800's. (Looking
back, I would heartily approve of them in principle but certainly could
not endorse all the methods they employed such as the ticket system
mentioned below.) According to the last sentence, these meetings
eventually fizzled and were discontinued. I wonder why. Do you know?

The town of Bristol, btw, is the name of the town where I am located and
gainfully employed - named after this very town in England. We grow many
wonderful fruits and vegetables here! The climate is mild and the average
rainfall is just what you would expect.

       David Anderson
       Bristol, TN

"The answer [to an influx of new converts] began in Bristol where
Wesley's Society had grown to 1,100 people. A society member by the name
of Foy suggested that one person call on eleven others during the week to
inquire of their status. The Bristol Society was quickly transformed, "In
a while, some [class leaders] informed me that they found such and such a
one did not live as he ought. It struck me immediately, 'This is one
thing, the very thing we have wanted so long.'" These weekly visitations
soon became weekly class meetings, "This was the origin of our classes at
London," he wrote, "for which I can never sufficiently praise God, the
unspeakable usefulness of the institution having ever since been more and
more manifest." Soon, every Methodist Society was broken into smaller
Classes of 12 persons who met weekly with a Class Leader for pastoral
care, examination, encouragement and exhortation. According to Wesley,
"Many now happily experienced that Christian fellowship of which they had
not so much as an idea before. They began to 'bear one another's
burdens,' and naturally to 'care for each other.' As they had daily a
more intimate acquaintance with, so they had a more endeared affection
for, each other."

"The "Class," consisting of 12 people pursuing the discipline of
Christian godliness, became the centerpiece of Methodism for the next 100
years, until the mid_1800s. It was in the Class that the "awakened" were
discipled, examined and instructed, and where they shared mutual
fellowship and learned to bear one another's burdens. It was in the Class
that the "Rules" (those standards of behavior expected of every
Methodist) were read and where individuals were examined to see if they
were sincere in their desire to live according to Methodist discipline.
Eventual membership in the greater Methodist Society was contingent upon
a probationary period in the Class. People whose lives appeared to
genuinely mirror their profession would be recommended for full
membership. Those who continued in their old ways and demonstrated no
willingness to change their walk would eventually be excluded from the
weekly Class and the quarterly Love Feast. This was accomplished by a
system of "tickets." A written ticket (eventually printed) would be
issued once every three months, by Wesley or by the Class leader, to
those Class members who were in good standing. This gained them entry to
the Class meeting for the next three months and to the quarterly Love
Feast. Then new tickets would be issued. Those members who by their lives
had demonstrated growth in grace were given new tickets. Those who failed
to attend meetings or whose lives had otherwise called their profession
into question were not issued new tickets until they had demonstrated
genuine repentance and a desire to renew their pursuit of Christian
godliness.

"It was Wesley's Class meeting that most closely resembles the Cell
Church today, and the larger Society meeting that most closely parallels
the "Cellabration" concept [of today]. This dual structure represented
the backbone of classic Methodism until the Classes began to unravel in
the mid-1800s."

http://www.banner.org.uk/apostasy/cell-church5.htm

House Church Talk Archive Index, Series 2.