House Church Talk - Are we angry? Let's get over it.

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Tue Dec 23 21:19:05 EST 2003

It's always interesting to read about new churches emerging across the
ocean waters. Europe is producing more and more alternative church sites
and books. And it's always interesting to see how they view US, too. From
a recent conference in England:

--- Brian went on to mention of the fact that one of the negative
characteristics of Emergent people was anger. Anger against what they had
come out of (not dissimilar to how Charismatics probably felt at coming
out of Baptist and Anglican churches previously). But he mentioned how
anger very often forces us to respond in such a way that we end up
mirroring the very thing we hate. To quote George Santayana, "Those who
cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." ---

Anger is a legitimate passion but not one that should mark the drift and
direction of our entire lives. It seems to be more of a temporary thing
which is why we are to "Be ye angry and sin not: let not the sun go down
upon your wrath." Eph. 4:26.

God's question to Jonah echoes down through the ages: Doest thou well to
be angry? Jonah 4:4

May the the days be soon removed in which we in the alternative church
circle are characterized by anger. (The fruits of the Spirit would suit
us so much better.)

     David Anderson

House Church Talk Archive Index, Series 2.