House Church Talk - house baptisms

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 11:02:00 EST 2003

Hi Terra,

You wrote:"We have been reading the texts about houses, house churches, etc
and have come across several house baptisms. Why don't we see baptisms of
households or do we? I have not."

Good question!

There are quite a number of baptisms recorded for us in the scriptures. Some
were large groups (Acts 2), some were lone individuals (Acts 8) and some
were households, as you have pointed out.
(Cornelius' house in Acts 10, the jailor's house in Acts 16, Crispus' house
Acts 18:8 and the house of Stephanus in I Cor.1:16)

Because baptism is only for believers or disciples, the factor that decides
what kind of group should be baptized is the kind of group which has
believed on the Lord Jesus. If an individual has believed, baptize an
individual. If a large group has believed, baptize the large group. And if
it is an entire household which has believed, baptize the entire household.
But ONLY baptize believers!  Since infants cannot believe, we know that no
infants were included in the household which were baptized.

Re. Cornelius' household, scripture assures us that they were all saved.
Acts 11:14  Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall
be saved.

Re. the Philippian jailor's household, we read in Acts 16:34:  "And when he
had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced,
believing in God with all his house."

Acts 18:8 tells us the same thing about Crispus' house: " And Crispus, the
chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and
many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized."

Re. the house of Stephanus whom Paul baptized (I Cor.1:16), we read in I Cor
16:15,16: "I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it
is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the
ministry of the saints,)  That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to every
one that helpeth with us, and laboureth."

Thus, these people were also able to "addict themselves to the ministry
(service) of the saints", so there were obviously no infants among them.

Over the years, I have witnessed a few household baptisms after entire
families had been converted to Christ.

Trust this sheds some light on the subject for you.

Your servant for Jesus' sake,
Bruce