House Church Talk - Starting

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 31 12:27:12 EST 2003

Hi everyone, my name is Glenn Frank.

This is an introduction since I am new to this list. My family and another
in our church are talking about starting a house church. Currently both of
our families are kind of the backbone of the one functioning small/home
group in our church. The church tried to start some small groups last year
and tried to make them all adhere to some kind of program and structure, but
they all faded away as people lost interest. The only group that "survived"
was ours, which did not try to be so structured. We focused on having people
participate -- all the people in the group contributing to the gathering --
rather than have one set teacher and one set agenda.

However, we have seen that the good that the small group is doing (teaching
people that God can speak through them too, and letting them learn to be a
participant and use their gifts) is being stifled by the constant
reinforcement of the "sit and be ministered to" philosophy that permeates
the other gatherings of the church. It is also torn down by the typical
'pastor worship' that can become a part of the typical church (reinforcing a
clergy does the work and laity sits mentality).

Both Mike (the husband in the other family) and I were formerly on the board
and we both decided to leave the board because we didn't like the 'new
direction' that the church was headed (more programs to 'attract' people --
making the services into a 'show', more emphasis on 'production' of the
worship services rather than actual worship and participation... And more
leaning toward the one-head-pastor model when we used to be an elder/team
lead church). Mike and I chose to pour ourselves into the small group to try
and do the best we could for the church and not leave use feeling like we
were 'going along' with something that we didn't really believe in. and the
group has done well, but it is too little too late.

Now, because of the realization of the nulling effect the churches other
events have on the things we are doing in the group, and because both of our
families have wearied of the 'programmed environment' of the church's
services, we believe it would be best for us, and the church, if we could
quietly leave and plant a house church (not taking people with us, but
starting a new work).

But it is hard to leave so quietly. The church is a small one of fewer than
100 people, and with us being the only small group and former board members,
the fact that I maintain the church's website and other computer related
things... And that we would have to announce to the others in the small
groups that it was being dissolved or handed over to someone else...  We
can't just 'disappear'. We don't want to 'sheep steal' by taking the people
in our small group either, but we love and care for them too... And have
known many of them for years.

Besides that, I bear no malace toward the church or the pastor who is a good
friend, but we just disagree on ministry philosiphy and practices.

So, I guess I am looking for prayers and advice that anyone can give.

Thanks

Glenn Frank
Orange County, CA

House Church Talk Archive Index, Series 2.