House Church Talk - Re: The Local Church

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Mon Sep 29 13:58:47 EDT 2003

Good Morning, Paul.

You wrote, in part:
> The lone shepherd leadership was the first degradation brought
> in by some who, even though they had been directly under the
> teaching of the apostles who had walked the earth with the Lord
> Jesus, failed to escape this pitfall.

> But yours is a much needed warning.  Even these things, if
> considered as dogma, can become the very things which hinder the
> Lord's move among us.

You seem to be under the impression, Paul, that my post was somehow
advocating a particular style of leadership -- one man as opposed to a
plurality of elders.  My concern is not related to that at all, but to the
use (as in mis-use) of Scripture.  We do not become scholars (students) of
Scripture by merely reading our own ideas back into the text.

God has much to say in Scripture, and He is not saying what men are often
saying.  We too often toss out the actual historical examples given to us,
judging the men of God in the first century of the church by our own (very
limited) 20th century views.

Even in your own example of James in Jerusalem, you forget, or maybe never
noticed, that he was a Jew.  For Jews living in Jerusalem many customs of the
Jews were observed for the sake of a witness, just as Paul urged care in
eating meat among the Gentiles brothers.  The Galatians were not to try and
follow the convictions that James had for only one reason -- the Galatians
were not Jews.  (Yet when Paul returned to Jerusalem he also tried to avoid
bringing an offense.)  This does not make James wrong; it merely shows the
error of the Galatians in trying to be Jews.

Besides, I do not see James as a "lone leader" in Jerusalem anyway.  I see
the elders all assembled and involved in reviewing the evidences, and in the
discussion, and in the final decisions.  James spoke for the group, stating
the consensus of all. And it was common among the Jews for one man to do so.

The one example of New Testament believers that we are missing today is that
they followed the Lord Jesus Himself.  Scripture shows us individuals doing
this and local groups doing this.  They brought their concerns to Him, and
then they acted on whatever He gave them to do.  Paul went to Jerusalem with
the “problem” of the Gentiles, in order to see that the whole church (Jews as
well as Gentiles) would reach the same consensus.  And they did.

I am the last one to advocate an IC style of church structure, and I am the
last one to advocate a particular HC style of church structure.  Rather, it
is enough to follow the Lord Jesus in all things pertaining to life and
worship, allowing the Scriptures to encourage us along in our walk with the
Lord.

The Lord Jesus is able to lead His church.  We do not need any one man, or
even a group of very sincere and earnest men, to tell the whole church what
is right, and how to interpret the New Testament Scriptures.  I see no
difference in that practice and what the IC is doing already.

To take an idea -- any idea at all -- and read that interpretation back into
the Scriptures, even using it to sit as judge and jury over men of God who
lived long ago, is foolishness on our part.

We tend to forget our ignorance of those times.  We neglect the fact that the
Lord deliberately gives us only glimpses of the church in those days, and
that the focus of Scripture is God’s own work, and not on the people
themselves, except that some men and women believed and walked with the Lord
and others did not.

Hope this helps to clear up any confusion.

Jim