House Church Talk - agenda documentation

Tim Poole pooletim at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:13:17 EDT 2004

Dan,
 Good hearing from you too. I know when times are tough, for me, its easy to
become inward and so aware of my failings and sins. We have seen tragic
things happen to several families is our group. One brother (not yet 40)
died from cancer, One brother lost his job after 21 years, another close
brother had to repo his business after a default, loosing near a million in
the process. Its easy to become synical or depressed but as you said  "I
reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be
compared to the glory that shall be revealed in us." After seeing the movie
"The Passion" I realized I had nothing to complain about compaired to what
HE suffered. I just try to remind myself to "Consider it pure Joy", and "In
everything give thanks".

  When we had a child with a birth defect, nothing seemed to work. The
brokeness of a wounded spirit is hard to bear. Looking back, I can say she
was a blessing although some of my own family says "it was the devil that
did this".  The healing comes when you stop asking why and embracing the
fact that "In everything give thanks,because this was Gods will concerning
you". Its tough, but God owes me nothing and I owe him everything. As Job
says, "Though he slay me yet will I serve him". No one understood what pain
we were going through and we found little comfort, other than knowing HE was
our reward. Things and expectations of others to somehow help always fell
short. He becomes our focus and our reward, because nothing else matters
when your hurting.

  I can laugh again and I have recovered my Joy, but the seasons of sorrow
seems to make us more grateful of his Joy and empower us to not take lightly
his blessings. In my opinion, He seems to be able to slay and kill our flesh
during this time because we are broken. As Paul said "Christ endured the
cross because of the Joy set before him". Its hard to imagine JOY during
this time or season but he promises a season of Joy if we dont faint.
Hopefully you can be encouraged that Joy will follow the cross as he
promises. In Christ, Tim