House Church Talk - Re: Were women silent during the first house churchmeeting?

Rick Johnson rjohnson at wise.k12.va.us
Mon Apr 26 16:35:08 EDT 2004

Claire,

First, I just need to let you know I am NOT from the woman silent camp.
Just ask my wife  :-)  I thought I would clear the air on that before I
dove in.

I am curious about part of your message.  I would like to know where the
women speaking in tongues at Pentecost came from?  Are you saying the
women in the crowd were speaking in tongues?

I have read Acts Chapter 2 in several different versions and I just
can't find scripture to back this up.  Am I missing something?  It there
a different reference in a Pauline letter?

I have included Acts 2-12 below just for a baseline reference.

RJ
Curious Minds Want to Know

Act 2:1  Now when the day of Shavu`ot had come, they were all with one
accord in one place.
Act 2:2  Suddenly there came from the sky a sound like the rushing of a
mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3  Tongues like fire appeared and were distributed to them, and
one sat on each of them.
Act 2:4  They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak
with other languages, as the Spirit gave them the ability to speak.
Act 2:5  Now there were dwelling in Yerushalayim Jews, devout men, from
every nation under the sky.
Act 2:6  When this sound was heard, the multitude came together, and
were bewildered, because everyone heard them speaking in his own
language.
Act 2:7  They were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another,
"Behold, aren't all these who speak from the Galil?
Act 2:8  How do we hear, everyone in our own native language?
Act 2:9  Parthians, Madai, Elamites, and people from Aram-Naharayim,
Yehudah, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia,
Act 2:10  Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the parts of Libya around Cyrene,
visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes,
Act 2:11  Cretans and Arabians: we hear them speaking in our languages
the mighty works of God!"
Act 2:12  They were all amazed, and were perplexed, saying one to
another, "What does this mean?"