House Church Talk - Judy's question re. the rapture

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 16:30:19 EST 2004

Dear Judy,

When I referred to II Thessalonians 1, it was NOT to claim there is no
rapture (or catching up of the saints)!  It was rather to demonstrate THE
TIMING of the rapture!  If the saints are caught up prior to the great
tribulation (which scripture never teaches!) we would rest from trouble for
a considerable period of time BEFORE  the Lord Jesus would be revealed from
heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire taking vengeance on them
(unbelievers) that know not God etc.

You see the pre-tribulation rapture theory directly contradicts II Thess.1!
   II Thess.1 clearly tells us that God is going to do two things:
(1) He is going to recompense tribulation to those who trouble us.
(2) He is going to recompense rest to us who are troubled.

The TIME WHEN the unbelieving world is going to be troubled by God like they
have never been troubled before, and the TIME WHEN  we will be able to REST
FROM TROUBLE  is the VERY SAME TIME AND EVENT!  That time and event is "WHEN
the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in
flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God and that obey not
the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ; who shall be puinished with everlasting
destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glorty of His power;"
(I Thess.1:7-9)

Just in case we didn't get the picture, Paul goes on (by inspiration of the
Holy Spirit) and defines even more clearly when this pivotal event will take
place. Verse 10 also answers the question: "When will the wicked be troubled
by God and when will the saints find rest from trouble?"  The answer is:
"WHEN He shall come to be glorified in His saints and to be admired in all
them that believe:"

Most of those who teach the "pre-trib. rapture theory" also teach that the
rapture of the saints will be SECRET, i.e. will not be observed by
unbelievers!  Where they ever get such a teaching, I do not know, for it
certainly is not found in the scriptures!

So to summarize, yes Judy, I agree with you that believers have God's Spirit
and they KNOW God.  I also agree with you that scripture definitely teaches
that saints will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air. My point from I
Thess.1 was simply to point out the TIMING of that great event, THE
REVELATION OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST. This is the one great event toward
which all of human history has been moving.  The big thing in that day is
NOT our emancipation (as wonderful as that will be!) but rather HIS
MANIFESTATION!

Does this help to clear up the questions my previous remarks raised in your
mind? I hope so, but if not, feel free to ask more!

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce