House Church Talk - Tithing in Home Church

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Thu Jan 8 17:06:53 EST 2004

Perhaps the group here might offer some insights into the subject of
tithing. When I was in the traditional church setting, I believed in giving
to the local church and the system that was in place at the time.

In time, however, I began to question the system and how the money was
administrated. Eventually I abandoned the eldership, which I as a part of,
and the whole concept of the church as I understood it then. We now see the
church as more a family than an organization. Giving continues in our HC,
but more on an individual and personal basis.

Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for omitting the weightier matters, judgment,
mercy and faith, not for tithing. But later when the temple system was
destroyed, and the Levitical priesthood replaced by the "Royal Priesthood,"
something had to change in the way the tithe was understood.

Giving to the poor, and the missionaries who are to "have their living of
the Gospel" was not abandoned in the New Covenant. But I cannot find where
these and other works are connected to tithing as in most churches today.

This question comes up because my son and his wife recently began attending
a church in our area that is definitely helping them spiritually and
naturally. They are excited about the principle of tithing, which I do not
plan to discourage. What they see now is to put God first in everything,
including their finances, to which I agree.

Has anyone found a Biblical basis for the tithing in the NT Church, and how
it is to be practiced?

Personally, I do not have a great phobia of Old Testament truth, or that we
are in great danger of coming under the law of Moses if we look into these
things. I have more concern that people tend to take the path of least
resistance - self indulgence when speaking of freedom from past practices.

So, instead of asking why tithing is not for today, I am looking for what
God was teaching us in this OT practice, and how it can help us grow in the
grace and knowledge of Him.

Dan Beaty