House Church Talk - Tithing in Home Church

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 8 14:54:39 EST 2004

Hi Dan,

Personally I find no real footing for a "Tithe" in the church. I see
freewill giving as the pattern... But I realize that is not your point.

You asked what is the lesson God is trying to point out in OT tithing.

Personally I think it is equivalent to us rightfully paying taxes today to
the government... Knowing that it is our duty and command to contribute to
the support of the community - to honor the king.

The ONLY time Abraham 'tithed' was a ONE TIME tribute - 10% of all he had --
ONE TIME --. And he lived some time after he paid the tithe... So did he
forget to tithe on the things he earned and gained later in life? There is
no indication of this. He simply paid it to honor the King of Salem.

The OT tithe was more than 10%... They paid other things too... And they
were all for the support of the community/temple/needy.

Jesus told us to give to God what is God's and to Caesar what is Caesar's.

The main thing I see about tithing is that is it is a mandate (we should pay
our taxes to the government) that God calls us to be honest about and to do
as an obligation.

Freewill giving is also talked about in scripture and is to teach us to be
giving people and to be a way we express love for our fellow man.

So, regarding your family wanting to give money to this local church because
they are being blessed by it... I think they should be giving to the church
to be a blessing to them... and this is fine... But I would not think they
should feel obligated to give a 'tithe' (as if they were paying a due that
they owed for a service rendered).

In the home church setting... I see no real need for a home church to
collect money, unless the intent is to give it as a group to some need. The
only reason (in my opinion) that typical churches continue to claim the
tithe is legit in the NT church is because they have needs such as a
building, a staff, and bills to pay. All of which are really not
necessities.

However, the money God's people 'tithe' to churches for these 'extraneous
expenses' takes away (in many cases) what could be done in the name of God
with the money that Christians WANT to give. Imagine what might happen if
God's people gave their money and resources to meet needs and to further
causes for the kingdom rather than paying the mortgage on the church
building and the electric company for providing the electricity for the
building.

Glenn Frank