House Church Talk - Tithing in Home Church

R.L. Johnson rjohnson at wise.k12.va.us
Fri Jan 9 08:51:06 EST 2004

Dan,

The tithe has been a point of contention for me since I became a Christian.
The church I grew up in handed out envelopes each week and the "Took Score"
of who was giving and who wasn't.  Even as a child we had a board in the
Sunday School room where your name was written and you got a star if you
read you brought Bible, if you read it daily, if you gave money, etc.
About twice a year we always got the mandatory tithe sermon.

At about 12 years of age I asked the question of where in the NT did it say
we were to give 10%???   Boy did I get in trouble.  I said we should give
everything we had just like the widow did with her coins.  I was labeled a
radical and got a scolding when I got home.

All through out my time in the IC, I rarely gave my money to the church I
attended.  I normally gave to independent mission agencies such as Turkish
World Outreach or Christian Military Fellowship.    On occasion, I found a
fun and unique way to give.  When we heard of someone who was unemployed or
having a difficult time, we would sneak out of church and to the local
grocery store.  Using our designated 10%, we would go to the local grocery
store and get nonperishable goods.  Coming back to the church, we would fill
their car with can goods.  Then we would sneak back into the church
building.

On other occasions my wife would buy a few bags of groceries and then drive
around until she felt G_d was telling her to stop at a house.  She would
then go and tell the person answering the door that she had some groceries
for them.  Not once did she go to a house where the people were not deeply
grateful.  On every occasion, G_d led her to a home where there was a great
need.  I have to be the first to admit, I am not as brave as she is.

As far as NT Biblical doctrine, I have heard arguments for both sides of the
issue.  Some of these are strong and appear valid and others just seem like
Pastoral extortion.

I feel that Jesus calls us to take care of our neighbor as we would take
care of ourselves.  It might not satisfy many in their search for a Biblical
answer but it works for me.

Rick