House Church Talk - House to house AND Temple Courts

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 24 10:52:48 EST 2004

I've been thinking about Acts 5:42...

"Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never
stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ. "

In looking at this verse, I was wondering if any house churches have
meetings in homes AND gather in some other way in a public place -- where
people of our culture gather to worship God in a more traditional format,
where they gather simply for social reasons or where our culture gathers to
think and talk about philosophical and logical reasoning.

There are other places in scripture where we hear about Paul (and others) go
into synagogues to proclaim the Gospel and reason with them. He also did
this in the marketplaces (acts 17:18) as well as being invited to speak to
the philosophers at the Areopagus in Athens (also in acts 17).

Anyway... To get back to Acts 5:42... It seems that the early church met in
homes to minister in a private intimate way and in public places such as the
temple where others could 'listen in' and be exposed to Christ.

Does anyone out there have real world examples of how a House church might
be walking this out in our culture and generation? If so, I would love to
hear about it! In thinking about what we want to do...  I would like to see
how we could have intimate gatherings in homes AND some ways to publicly
proclaiming the Gospel in our culture.

Glenn Frank