House Church Talk - The Cross

bro.oliverpeng bro.oliverpeng at mail.ev1.net
Fri Jan 23 23:52:29 EST 2004

Hi, I just registered for the House Church Talk , but I am not sure how to
post my comment.  So, here's my first try.  Sorry about the messy
attempt.  I am trying to reply to Bruce's post on "The Cross."

A.B. Simpson was so right to point out the wonderful "treasures
of the hail" (job 38:22-23) as a "haven of rest and inspiration
of unspeakable power".  The Lord's way is always the way of the
cross.  His hail is but an agent teaching us to triumph in
adversity in the mercy and love of Christ.  Job declared in the
end, "when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold."  So
echoed Isaiah, "Grain for bread is crushed."  Shall we pass off
God's way as archaic?  Shall we circumvent the cross?
Scripturally, genuine spiritual awakening is always preceded by
repentance.  A broken spirit and contrite heart He has
desired.  Take the prodigal son.  Take the prostitute who had
seven demonic spirits cast out of her.

Perhaps one of the biggest problems facing many students of the
Word is their inability to understand the two-foldness of the
Word.  Many precious truths in the bible are impregnated with and
operating under the principle of two-foldness.  Failure to
understand the two-foldness of the truth has pitted the
Calvinists and the Armenians in centuries-old squabbles.

For instance, John said "He who has the Son has life." And Paul
said else-where "it is the Spirit that gives life."  On surface,
this seems to be an oxymoron; if we have the Son we have life
already, then why would the Spirit give the life that we already
have?  Herein lies the two-foldness: ESSENTIALLY, we who have the
Son have life--done deal, no need to struggle for more life.
But, economically, there is a great need to have more and more
life imparted into us.  Take the golden lampstand –
essentially, it is made out of gold.  Gold becomes its essence.
But ECONOMICALLY, it was beaten into the shape and form of a
lampstand.

Essentially, it is gold, economically, it's a lampstand.  Essence
without economy does not make it very functional, though valuable
it is.  All Christians have divine life as essence, but not all
Christians can function and express that life adequately.  Our
desperate need is to grow and mature and attain the "measure of
the stature of the fullness of Christ."  It is in this process of
growing and maturing, our life in the spirit starts to spread
out, enlarge and invade into our soul life.  This is where the
Lord's dealing takes place and learning and submission to it
yields its fruit of the Spirit.

It is the same with the cross of Christ.  Essentially, the cross
represents the finished work of Christ.  Done deal.  No need to
struggle and strive.  We are dead in Him.  We are alive in Him.
We are complete in Him.  Hallelujah!  What a good news.
Economically though, we need to let the finished work of Christ
on the cross subjectively deal with our hidden pride (show me one
who isn’t plagued by it), our lying tongue, our carnality,
youthful lust, greed...you name it.  The problem with most
Christians is that their understanding of the Word is only a
single-edged sword--long on essence but short on economy.

Just a casual glance in the Word, and we easily get the sense of
enlargement.  God called out a single person and made him into a
family; God took the family and made it into 12 tribes, then the
12 tribes into a nation.  And God's thought for this nation was
for it to "become great."  He wanted the nation to spread out and
enlarge from sea to sea.  The N.T. follows the same principle.
He started with a single lowly Man from Nazareth and enlarged Him
into a corporate man, the Church; and eventually, He will
enlarge the corporate man into a kingdom.  And the "increase of
His kingdom" is said to be "without end."  May I also submit that
the increase and the enlargement that the bible speaks about is
not merely a physical or numerical increase.  It is the increase
and enlargement of Christ.  Oh, that Christ may fill up, sum up
and head up all and in all!

Paul's writings are full of charges to "run the race," "earnestly
pursue," "press on," "gain Christ," etc....  The Hebrew writer
three times charged us to "go forward" and "do not shrink
back."  "If you shrink back," says the Lord, "My soul is not
pleased with you."  We must ask, if we already have gotten
all we'll ever need, then why do we need to run the race, pursue,
press on, gain Christ, come forward and not shrink back?  The
answer is simple: we have received all the fullness of Christ in
our spirit essentially.  But we must have our capacity (in our
soul) enlarged to gain more Christ economically.

The “ten virgins” may give us some insight.  All ten virgins have
all the oil (Holy Spirit) they would ever need in their lamps--
the human spirit, for "the spirit of man is the lamp of the Lord"
(Prov.)  This was given to them.  They did not earn it.
Likewise, we did not earn the Holy Spirit; we received the Holy
Spirit when we were saved by grace.

But the five wise virgins have extra oil in their VESSELS (soul
life that has been dealt with).  The five foolish ones are told
to "BUY" the extra oil (for their vessels)!  This is the "gaining
Christ" that Paul talks about in Phil. 3; it starts to take place
when our soul life is being dealt with through the subjective
cross.  The increased measure of Christ in us always comes with a
price, for the cross is always involved in it.  By the way, the
price of “oil” is cheap now compared to later when our Bridegroom
returns.  Those who frown on the teaching of the cross, take
heed.  Buy now, or they may not be able to afford it.
Simple "economics."  No pun intended.

Many Christians have no use for the Lord's dealings.  When
suffering comes, they ask the Lord to remove it.  When afflicted
with sickness, they ask for healing.  When strapped financially,
they ask for prosperity.  When pressed, they ask for escape....
Not that they, or we, should not seek relief from adversities,
but their single-minded treatment of all adversities as coming
from the devil and therefore must be rebuked and stomped leaves
no room for the Holy Spirit to bring about inward change through
His chastening.  They are quick to pray for outward changes, but
no sustaining, transforming and deep inward change takes place.
Small wonder that the soul power is rampant in the Charismatic
circle.  The power of the Holy Spirit is greatest only when the
power of the soul is dealt with and broken!

The president of my State university recently made a
comment, “attaching a pair of wings to a caterpillar does not
make it a butterfly; it is still a caterpillar.”  Butterfly comes
by transformation only.  There is no instant spirituality.  True
spirituality must come through much dealings of the cross.

I have observed as a youngster how silkworms weaved cocoons
around themselves.  When the process of transformation was
complete, the moth would chew a hole in the cocoon and begin a
long and tedious breakout.  Unwilling to see the horrendous
struggle, I’d take a pair of scissors to cut the hole to help the
struggling moth.  Alas, it always ended in tragedy!  The moth
came out deformed and weak.  It was the horrendous struggle that
made the moth strong and pumped its blood through its wings and
legs.  My “help” had robbed the poor little creature of its glory
and doomed it to sickness and early death!

Some dear brothers frown on any sharing on the cross, dealings,
and brokenness; but dealings will come regardless whether they
frown on them or not.  Jesus said, "in the world you WILL have
tribulations, in Me you may have peace."  These dealings are
divinely appointed and permitted to mature and perfect us.  He
chastens those whom He loves, and He scourges every son whom He
receives.

It's true that at regeneration we received a perfect and complete
divine life, and we will not need one ounce more of it.  Paul
said in Col. that "all the fullness of the Godhead dwells in Him
bodily.", and John said "and of His fullness we have all
received, and grace upon grace."  Since we have all received of
His fullness, and since we have been made complete in Him, it
stands to reason that we have no need for anything more, least of
all dealings and the cross.  The only problem is, these brothers
who insist on this view fail to realize the need to grow and
mature.  Just because a baby has all the organs, limbs and
faculties and life does not assure the baby the full mastery of
all his organs, limbs and faculties.  He has to grow.  And growth
is full of perils, stumbling, mistakes and defeat.  The Lord uses
each peril, stumbling, mistake and defeat to train His children
for reigning and glory in maturity.  Those who reject dealings
also neglect growth and maturity, to say nothing of
reigning and glory.

The church is the counterpart of Christ--a living body who is
constituted in character with Christ and conformed to the image
of Christ.  Just how is the lowly and humble character of the
Lamb constituted into us?  More often than not, it is HAMMERED
into us much the same way the golden lampstand in the Holy Place
is hammered from one lump of gold.  Whether we are yielding to or
balking at the hammering of the Holy Spirit determines whether we
are the lampstand, the church.  The sweet fragrance of Christ can
only come from broken alabaster bottles.

People who are familiar with T. Austin-Sparks' teaching on the
cross have commented: "Another focus was the subjective
experience of the cross of Christ, going beyond forgiveness to
deliverance from the power of sin and self as described in Romans
chapter six, and leading on to a walk with others in newness of
life in a corporate or church fellowship....  It was his emphasis
on the subjective work of the cross in human lives that
distinguished TAS' early messages from other 'deeper life'
ministries of that period.  It supplied people with a positive
meaning for and inward peace about their sufferings and the
sometimes painful divine disciplines that they encountered in
this life."  Another one of his fellow-workers commented: "He
preached a gospel of full salvation by simple faith in
Christ's sacrifice, but he further stressed that the one who
knows the cleansing by the blood of Jesus should also allow the
same cross to work in the depth of the soul in order to be
released from self and thus find a less carnal and more spiritual
walk with God.  TAS himself had gone through a crisis of self-
undoing by his acceptance of the cross' verdict on his old
nature, and had found it to be the introduction into an
altogether new enjoyment of Christ's life, an 'open heaven' as he
would often say."  ("Theodore Austin-Sparks-Reflection on His
Life and Work" by Angus M. Gunn)

Carnal-minded Christians view the cross as a curse that brings
sufferings, poverty and deprivation therefore must be shunned.
Other Christians view it as great deliverance that saved us from
death into life, but refuse to acknowledge its subjective power
to daily release us from self and to produce the character and
fragrance of Christ in us economically.   True spirituality
includes both the essential aspect and the economical aspect.
One cannot stand without the other.  May the Holy Spirit help
deepen our perception and enlarge our heart for a truly blessed
walk with the Lord, and may He temper our temperament to produce
both the essential and the economical unto the testimony of
Jesus.

Blessings to all,

Oliver

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net