House Church Talk - Baptising with water

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 00:13:12 EST 2004

Hi Ted,
You wrote:"Brother Bruce, I am a little puzzled by your comment:That
Christians meet in homes is certainly never commanded, but neither is water
as the medium for baptism of believers! But there are more scriptural
examples of the former than the latter!
I will have to agree that nowhere in the new testament have I read "Thou
must use water for baptising believers", however there are several instances
where water was the medium used, and I have noted no other medium being used
such as wine or olive oil.  Although the Greek word baptizo means to dip,
plunge, submerge or immerse, it does not specify water.  However in my
limited studies, all instances of baptism that I have noted in the New
Testament involved a body of water large enough to submerge a human body."

You then cited: Mat thew 3:13-16; Acts 10:47; Mark 1:8; John:1:26,33; and
Acts 8:36-38

Then you concluded:"It appears that the frequent use of the word water, and
no reference (to my knowledge) to the use of any other fluid medium for
baptism, leaves little doubt in my mind that the Lord intended for us to use
water. I humbly yeild to your greater knowledge of the scriptures.  Please
enlighten me a little more for the basis of your statement so that I might
have a better understanding."

O.K. but I think you have already explained pretty well where I was coming
from!

Just as the medium of baptism is not mentioned in every case of baptism in
scripture, the meeting place of Christians is not mentioned in every
reference to church gatherings.

Just as water is often mentioned as the medium of baptisms performed by men,
houses are often mentioned as the meeting place of churches when believers
gather together.

You have also noted that for baptisms performed by men, no other medium but
water is ever recorded in scripture.

But there are other venues for church gatherings mentioned in scripture: the
temple court in Jerusalem, a school in Ephesus.  The reason why these larger
venues were used is because there are two distinct kinds of church meetings
in scripture:
(1)The most common kind of church meeting is the small group meeting
together for personal, face-to-face interaction and mutual ministry one to
another. This is the kind of gatherings that met in homes.
(2)The other kind of church meeting which was common in the first century
but is almost non-existent today because of denominationalism and
sectarianism, is the large city-wide "whole church together in one place"
kind of gathering.

Both kinds are seen in Acts 2:46, but other examples of whole church
gatherings in one place are found in Acts 6:1-7; Acts 15; Romans 16:23 and I
Cor.14:23-40 (the regulations for whole church gatherings in one place)

Just as you have rightly concluded that there is little doubt that God
intends people to be baptized in water, you can also conclude on the same
basis that there is little doubt that God intends for churches (the small
church gatherings in which believers  break bread, fellowship with one
another, pray for one another, bear one another's burdens, provoke one
another unto love and good works, exhort one another and edify one another
etc) to gather in peoples' homes.

I hope this helps.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce