House Church Talk - cessation of spiritual gifts

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 06:11:08 EDT 2004

Dear brother Ross,

You claim that you have never seen any evidence of spiritual gifts being
exercised!  Could I ask you how you have gotten along in your Christian life
without any contemporaries of yours who were evangelists to preach the
gospel to you, pastors to shepherd you, ministers/servants to minister
to/serve you, givers to give generously to you, rulers to set a godly
example before you, those with compassion to have mercy upon you, exhorters
to come along side you to encourage you when the going got rough?  How have
you ever made it without any such contemporaries with knowledge to impart to
you when you did not know, with discernment that you did not possess, with
faith and confidence in God to do what you could not even dream?

You may not have recognized them, but I have no doubt that our faithful God
has placed many such gifted people around you and that you have been richly
blessed by the exercise of these and many other spiritual gifts!  I aslo
have no doubt that others have been richly blessed as a result of the
exercise of such gifts that He has given to you!

Thank you for responding again to my questions. However, I'm sorry that they
have not been satisfactory scripturally.

did Paul say:  -that ALL the spiritual gifts of Rom.12, I Cor 12 and Eph.4
WOULD PASS AWAY?  -that any of them DID pass away?" ...you wrote:"To prove
that they passed away during Paul's lifetime is not a necessity. But there
must be a time period in which we find none of these ministry gifts, as well
as, love, faith and hope remaining. Since faith and hope are realized at the
return of Christ, this period must exist between the coming of the "perfect"
and the return of Christ. Simple and Biblical!

Dear brother, this line of reasoning is neither simple nor Biblical!!!
(1) You claimed in a recent post :"It is safe to assume that with the
completion of his (Paul's) apostolic ministry, the "perfect" had come and
the unity of the faith established."  Now you seem to be calling that "safe
assumption" into question by saying,"To prove that they (the gifts that
would cease when "the perfect" had come) passed away during Paul's lifetime
is not a necessity. " !!!
(2) You have assumed that faith and hope are realized at the return of
Christ, but scripture never says such a thing!  There are many promises of
God and prophecies to be fulfilled which will not all  be fulfilled at the
return of Christ!!!  So how can faith and hope be fully realized then???
(3) I Cor 13:9-13 teaches us that knowing in part and prophesying in part
are true at the very same time as "seeing through a glass darkly and the
"now" of the abiding of faith, hope and love.  Also, when knowing in part
and prophesying in part would be finished, we would see face to face and
that Paul would know even as he was known. You have not shown any Biblical
proof that such conditions are yet or will be true prior to the completion
of the Body of Christ just prior to the coming of the Lord!

Brother Ross, you continued addressing me as follows:"You have a problem
with Paul not taking the time to elaborate each gift. Well, many Bible
teachers see these three as representing the rest. There is a name for this
figure of speech and I can't remember it off hand. I'll have to look it up
in Keach's "Preaching from the Types and Metaphors of the Bible" or
Bullinger's "Figures of Speech in the Bible" sometime. Anyway, look at 1Cor
12:4-10 and note that Paul divides the various manifestations of the
"spirituals" into: 1. diversities of gifts (verse 4). 2. diversities of
ministrations (verse 5). 3. diversities of workings (verse 6). How many is
that? Note all those "another"s! All except two are the greek word
transliterated "allos" which means "another of the same kind" and the
exceptions are "heteros" which means "another of a different kind." So we
have: Group A.: the word of wisdom and another (of the same kind) the word
of knowledge Group B.: and another (of a different kind) faith and another
(of the same kind) gifts of healings and another (of the same kind) the
working of miracles and another (of the same kind) prophecy and another (of
the same kind) discerning of spirits Group C.: and another (of a different
kind) divers kinds of tongues and another (of the same kind) the
interpretation of tongues We can see that the two use of heteros serves to
break it up into three groups. Now jump to 1Cor 13:8 1 Corinthians 13:8 KJV
(8) Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies(Group B), they
shall fail; whether there be tongues(Group C), they shall cease; whether
there be knowledge(Group A), it shall vanish away. Do I have a case?

No brother you don't! (At least not in my opinion.) I say this for a number
of reasons:
(1) First, my problem is NOT WITH PAUL failing to elaborate all the gifts!
He did an excellent job of that in Romans 12, I Cor 12 and Ephesians 4!  My
objection is is with dispensationalists like yourself which make
unsubstantiated claims about THE TIMING OF THE CESSATION OF GIFTS AND OF THE
ALL INCLUSIVE NATURE OF THE CESSATION OF "SPIRITUALS"which Paul never did!
(2) Although groups of gifts may be "of the same kind",  wisdom is other
than knowledge;  faith, gifts of healing,  working of miracles, and
discerning of spirits are other than prophecy;  and tongues are other than
interpretation of tongues.  I Cor.13:8 says, "whether there be prophecies,
they shall fail, whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be
knowledge, it shall vanish away."  It does NOT say, "Whether there be
prophecies they AND ALL OTHER GIFTS OF THE SAME KIND shall fail, whether
there be tongues they AND ALL OTHER GIFTS OF THE SAME KIND shall cease,
whether there be knowledge, it AND ALL OTHER GIFTS OF THE SAME KIND shall
vanish away."
(3) You have claimed that the 3 represent the 19, but you have only shown a
relationship "of the same kind" of the 3 to 6 others! You have not shown how
prophecies, knowledge and tongues "represent"  apostles, evangelists,
pastors, teachers (Ephesians 4), ministry, teaching, exhortation, giving,
ruling, showing mercy (Romans 12). You have not even shown such a
relationship with all the gifts mentioned in I Cor 12! What about apostles,
teachers, helps, governments???

that identifies, to  your mind, the coming of the Lord? ",,,you responded:"
Nothing in 1Cor 13 has to do with the coming of the Lord! I do not identify
anything in 1Cor 13 with the coming of the Lord. Nothing in the context
suggests such."

Alright, I see that in our consideration of I Cor 13 and our comments
relative to that chapter, I'd assumed wrongly that you somehow saw the
return of Christ in that chapter. So let me ask you again, where IN
SCRIPTURE and for what reasons do you believe that faith and hope are fully
realized at the return of Christ?

Thirdly, in response to my comment:"You claim that faith remains until the
coming of the Lord, but you did  not respond to the observation that faith
is one of the 19 gifts of the  spirit which you say passed away in the first
century!"...you responded: "...I submit to you that the faith spoken as
being one of the "spirituals" is not the same as our saving faith."

Dear brother,  I had not even suggested that "saving faith" was even
referred to in I Cor 13!  Are you inferring that?

(4)I had written:"That event (the coming of "that which is perfect") marks
the timing of 3 things: (1) the doing away with that which is in part
(knowledge and prophecy), (2) the end of our seeing through a glass darkly
and the beginning of our seeing "face to face",  (3) Paul's knowing as he
was known.  Please explain for us how and why you have concluded that all
four of these  things have already happened and when (at what point in
history) you think  they happened."

You responded:"As already explained, there is required a period of time
after the perfect has come and thus the passing away of the gifts as Paul
plainly states and lasting until for as long as at least faith and hope
does. It is easy to see that the end point is the return of Christ. It
leaves us with determining what the perfect is. The perfect is denoted as
that which is in contrast to the imperfect gifts. The perfect resolves
immaturity, obscurity (from dark glass to seeing face to face, i.e., seeing
clearly), lack of knowledge as Paul states using a colloquialism: "now I
know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known" and so these
are all plainly related to the action of the "perfect." The whole context is
of edification in the Body, its unity, and bringing the Body to a state of
maturity. While the "perfect" in this passage is rather vague, Paul is more
explicit in Ephesians where we have the same context of edification and
establishing the Body and there the "perfect" is explicitly identified as
the new man having become "a perfect man." As far as our personal
experience, we should have an unobscured (seeing as if face to face/ direct)
and full knowledge (know as he was known) understanding of the importance of
love, faith, and hope with respect to the edification of the Body. The
coming of the "perfect" or established state of the divine institution
provides the environment where that potential can be realized for the
individual. It is like the institution of an army whereby when it is finally
established, it becomes an environment where soldiers can learn discipline
and achieve rank. Before such an army/corporate entity/institution is
created and established, it is not possible for an individual to achieve
rank/maturity in something that does not exist."

In this answer, brother Ross, you still have not answered at what point in
history those four events happened!  You have not explained whose face would
be seen "face to face" rather than through a glass darkly!  Nor have you
explained how Paul was known during his life on earth and how at the time of
the coming of "the perfect" he would know in the very same way!!  Nor did
you even claim that seeing "face to face" is yet your own personal
experience!  You simply said, "We SHOULD HAVE  an unobscured (seeing as if
face to face/ direct) and full knowledge (know as he was known)
understanding of the importance of love, faith, and hope with respect to the
edification of the Body."!!!

Brother Ross, Paul did NOT say that when the perfect was come we "should" or
"ought to" see face to face! He states it as an assured fact!  So if it is
not an assured fact, we can be sure that "the perfect:" has not yet come!
It is obvious by your answer that it certainly is not an assured fact even
in your own experience, so please do not expect us to believe your premise
that the perfect has already come and so gifts are no longer necessary!

Fifthly, I had asked:""Has that which is perfect  (maturity in the Body of
Christ) come or has it not?"

Your response was as follows:"The "perfect" has come! Its providing for us
the real possibility to grow up spiritually. "

Dear Ross, this answer is just as foolish as would be the following answer
to the question: "Is this two year old child mature?"........"Certainly this
child is mature! It has been provided the very real possibility to grow up
physically."

Dear brother, maturity and the possibility to grow up into maturity are two
vastly different matters!!!

Finally, I'd written:"A body may be "established" long before it is mature!
An immature body has all of it's members! A newborn infant has all of it's
members but is a long  way from maturity! But the body of Christ does not
even have all of it's  members yet! So the time when all the members are
mature has certainly NOT  arrived yet!"

You responded:"Lets not get tripped up on semantics, if you don't like
"establish" think of a different one, you know what I am trying to say.
Again, the perfection of the institution is not the same as that of the
individual members. The perfection of the individual members is now possible
(without gifts) because the corporate entity has matured through Paul and
company's ministry."

Dear Ross, semantics or the use of words is crucial in understanding God's
Word!  He has chosen specific wordsto communicate specific truths!  I have
noticed that when words of scripture do not suit you or do not express your
doctrine, you do not mind choosing other words not found in scripture. The
above paragraph is an example of such.  Scripture speaks of a "BODY" having
"MEMBERS".  But you speak of members of an "institution"!  You speak of
members of "A CORPORATE ENTITY"!     One can see that the Roman Catholic
Church or the Coca Cola Company are "mature institutions" or "corporate
entities".  Both may have very immature members or stockholders!   But such
is NOT a possibility with either a human BODY nor with the BODY of Christ!
It is an absolute impossibility for a human body to be perfect/mature when
all of it's members are not yet perfect or not yet mature. In exactly the
same way the Body of Christ will never be perfect/mature until all of it's
members are also perfect/mature!

That is why Paul wrote Ephesians 4:11-13!   The work of the gifts of verse
11 has the purpose in view of perfecting(maturing) the saints. As saints are
maturing, they have the purpose in view of doing the work of ministry.  The
work of ministry has in view the purpose of edifying the body of Christ.
Then Paul declares that this entire process continues "TILL WE ALL  (all the
faithful in Christ Jesus whom God has blessed with all spiritual blessings
in heavenly places in Christ  Eph.1:1-3) come in the unity of the faith, and
of the knowledge of the Son of  God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of
the staure of the fullness of Christ."

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce