House Church Talk - Visualizing Christ

DanG dan.dgordon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:21:41 EDT 2004

Phillip Cohen wrote:
> Dear Saints,
>
> I've started an audio/video course that helps me develop a more positive
> self-image. Very good program.
>
> No, I'm not looking for a debate over whether this type of program is
> right or wrong. Read on . . .
>
> The course recommends that I spend 20 minutes 3 times a day relaxing and
> visualizing myself becoming like the people I admire. Well, here's the
> problem . . .
>
> I really want to be like Jesus. But I'm having a hard time visualizing
> Him. I'm realizing now that for all the years I've been reading the
> Bible, I've processed the words, but come short on visualizing Him. Sure,
> I enjoy visualizing the events in the Bible. That's fun, imagining them
> as though they were happening right now.
>
> But visualizing Jesus? There are so many false Christs, I'm afraid my
> imagination will just fabricate another false Christ.
>
> I'm stuck. Can you help me? Have you successfully created an image of
> Jesus in your mind that helps you and is accurate with the Bible?
>
> An upbeat, inspiring discussion on this topic would be very refreshing.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip

I cannot help with the aspect of visualizing, really.
Although, I suppose I own a sort of visualizing style for myself... kind of.
I agree with you that false is not good.  That is a very good
observation on your part - that you do not want that.  Neither do I.
So, here are some thoughts on the matter that I have - to jump right
into the fire on this issue, so to speak...
I think the visualization engine is faulty, I agree with you, we need
no further false images.  And I maintain that the engine is faulty -
all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.  Redeemed?  Yes!
Perfect in body? No!  Perfect before God in Christ?  Yes!  He was made
sin for us (who knew no sin) that we might be made the righteousness
of God in Him.  In Him is the key.  The engine of visualization is
faulty, sin laden, sinful from the git go.
Can I catch a glimpse?  I think so.  But I would not characterize the
glimpse as visualization.  I desire to stay where I know there is no
taint of faulty - faulty anything.  I find that to be the Bible - the
Word of God.  So, I stay there.  Vision?  From time to time, yes.  For
instance, I hang on the Anne Ross Cousins old hymn Immanuel's Land.
This is not the Bible, but there are "seemingly" good images there.
The Bride eyes not her garment
But her dear bridegroom's face
I will not gaze at glory
But on my King of Grac
Not at the crown He giveth
But on His pierced hands
The Lamb is all the glory of Immanuel's Land

While I do not give a good example of staying in the Bible, I think we
could do that.  For instance, I quoted 2Cor5:21 and that is a huge
image.  Visualize that?  Not really.  But, I find it to fill my mind
with the awesome reality of that truth is very rich.  Visually?  Well,
not really.  But, hang in there with the immense reality expressed
there?  I'm jumping up and down in my chair - well, inside my body I'm
jumping up and down.  Visualize that?

Well, that is some thoughts I have on the issue.
Thanks Phil for coming up with the discussion.  Please add more,
clarify what/where you are headed in this.  Did I come close at all?
DanG ChicagoArea