House Church Talk - House church or simply church wherever people are

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 26 01:29:04 EDT 2004

Brothers and Sisters,

When Christians from various backgrounds, who have various convictions,
different perspectives, different personalities and different gifts
encounter others in their fellowship who have different opinions....how may
interpersonal relationships be maintained, protected and nurtured without
the need for fighting, splitting and going our separate ways?

When a man and a woman get married, all of these features are brought
forceably into play and there are many variables that can contribute to
their separation and divorce.

In a marriage, what basic understandings will make such choices totally
unacceptable options?

What kinds of attitudes and actions need to be exercised on a daily basis to
make that marriage work?

So too, in Christ, all of these features are brought into play whenever 2 or
more Christians interact in any meanigful way.

So may I ask: -What basic understandings will make choices to fight with or
split from other believers totally unacceptable options?

What kinds of attitudes and actions need to be exercised on a daily basis to
make fellowship with other saints work out practically where the rubber
meets the road?

Is such a prospect just an illusive "pipe dream"  or is it the reality to
which we have been called by our God?

Is it not by this very means that God has given the world the right to judge
the reality of our profession to be disciples of Christ (John 13:34,35)?

Is it not by our very practical submission to God and His Word, and our
submission one to another when the whole church in a city comes together
into one place that will cause unbelievers who come in to fall down on their
faces and confess that God is in us of a truth? I Cor.14:23-25

Is it not the goal by which God has determined to manifest His wisdom to
principlalities and powers in heavenly places (Eph.3:8-10)?

If these things are true, what lessons should we be learning when we
experience "bumps in the road" like we have the last few days?   When we
experience disagreements, aggravations and problems of many kinds in our
home church fellowships, do we "waste" those problems by simply trying to
avoid them in the future, or do we ask the Lord, "What do you want us to
learn?"  "What lessons do you want to teach us?"  "How do we need to depend
more fully on You?

Personally, I'm convinced that God allows, yes even sends us such
difficulties! If we learn from them, we graduate from first into second
grade. But if we won't learn, He'll continue to send the same kinds of
problems UNTIL WE DO!  But once we learn what He wanted to teach us in first
grade, He sends along a different set of problems by which we eventually
learn that His ways are best and graduate from the second grade.

Since He is determined to conform us to the image of Christ, how can we
co-operate with Him with that end in view?

One with you in Christ who has a long way yet to go,
Bruce