House Church Talk - questions

Claire Bennett clairebnntt at cox.net
Sat May 15 14:05:28 EDT 2004

I have some questions here for Travis or anyone else:

What is meant by diversity?  It would seem the diversity does not include differing views on women's role - I would assume anyone who disagreed on that would be free to fellowship elsewhere.  Is the diversity laced with elitism?  For example - one person wears a head covering, one doesn't.  Is this viewed as a difference of opinion and interpretation, or is it viewed, as other issues are, as one person simply doesn't have the light you do?  Are you saying women are allowed to participate and use their gifts as long as you don't call the time together a formal "meeting?"  Diversity IMHO does not come with a condescending attitude.

I've been in places where a great deal of love and support is given in return for compliance.  The compromises are small in return for what is received.  Its just that the this sort of love is not love in my book; it is behavior modification.  I would assume the "sisters" wouldn't even think to question the decisions of the menfolk, that would not be submissive.

I never received an answer as to whether those within these sorts of groups believe it is God's will that they impose this practice on all house churches.

As an aside, I had the priviledge of hearing Corrie ten Boom speak many years ago.  Would you say she lacked the light that you walk in because traveled the world speaking to millions rather than remaining silent as a proper woman should?  Would you have gone to hear her speak?