House Church Talk - speaking

David Miller David at innglory.org
Mon May 17 09:29:51 EDT 2004

Tim Poole wrote:
> Which attitude do you think Glorifies God.
> Paul--"I become all things to all men so that
> I may win some by any means."and "I would rather
> be cutoff from Christ myself to win my Jewish
> brothers." or David Miller -- "We should expect
> the world to despise us and our ways.  If the
> world desires to crucify us, then perhaps we
> are doing things right."

Both are correct.  We should lovingly desire to save those who walk
contrary to God, but we should not expect that the world will embrace
our message with the same love and enthusiasm that we do.  Remember that
Paul often caused riots in the towns where he preached, and eventually
he was killed for the name of Jesus Christ by the world.  Paul did not
compromise his teaching to make it agreeable with the world, so however
we interpret his sentence, "I am made all things to all men, that I
might by all means save some," we should not understand this to mean
that he examined his teaching to see how it appeared to the world, and
then changed his teaching in order that the world would react positively
to his message and receive it.  On the contrary, Paul and his message
were in general terms rejected by those who heard him.  A few embraced
it, but most were repulsed and outraged by his message.

One thing that is wrong with the institutional church is that because it
is based upon hirelings and money, they tilt the message toward
acceptability by the world.  This problem is much greater than its
hierarchical form of government.  Even if its form of government is less
than ideal, if its message continued in right form, God could use it in
the same way that he used King David.

Jesus taught us, "How can ye believe, which receive honour one of
another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?" (John 5:44
KJV).  This teaches us not to be seeking for the honor of the world, but
to seek the honor that comes from God only.  This attitude is crucially
important.  Furthermore, as we please the Father, the world will hate
us.  Jesus taught us, "It is enough for the disciple that he be as his
master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of
the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his
household?" (Mat thew 10:25 KJV).  Acts 14:22 also reiterates that we
must, through much tribulation, enter the kingdom of God.  1 Timothy
3:12-13 likewise testifies that all who will live godly in Christ Jesus
will suffer persecution, and more than that, this passage teaches us
that as the time of the end approaches, evil men and seducers will
become worse, deceiving others and being deceived themselves.

Consider the contrast between the world and the disciples of Christ
conveyed in the following teaching of Jesus our Lord:

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye
therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. But beware of men:
for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you
in their synagogues; And ye shall be brought before governors and kings
for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles. But when
they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it
shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not
ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you. And
the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the
child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause
them to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's
sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." (Mat thew 10:16-22
KJV)

Tim Poole wrote:
> Why should you worry about being crucified?

I don't worry about being crucified.  Maybe if I am faithful, the Lord
will count me worthy to be crucified for the name of Christ.  There
would be no more glorious way for me to depart from this world, but this
honor is not offered to all.

Tim Poole wrote:
> What threat are you to Satans kingdom if you just
> forget the world and isolate youself in a little
> bless-me club. Some how we have lost the need to
> care about Gods purpose, to seek and to save that
> which is lost. We would rather just get a bless-me
> fix and show each other how righteous we are by our
> externals. Mabee its just me, but is something wrong
> with this picture?

No, Tim, it is not just you.  There is definitely something wrong with
this picture of the church being a little bless-me club.  Go out and
preach the gospel to every creature.  Lift up your voice and testify to
Jesus Christ everywhere there is people.  However, do not expect the
world to embrace you or your preaching.  Expect to be laughed at and
scorned.  Expect to be ridiculed.  Expect to be spit upon.  Expect to be
violently assaulted.  Expect for others to call out for your crucifixion
and murder.  Expect to be arrested by the police too.  I have
experienced all these things for the name of Christ and more.  It does
not move me away from the doctrine of Christ, because the doctrine of
Christ instructs me to expect this kind of reaction from the world.  I
pray that you too will lift up the name of Jesus Christ faithfully to
this world, that you might experience the suffering of Christ.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.