House Church Talk - Biblical reasons for leaving IC's

jim pierceall jpierceall at brtc.net
Fri Nov 19 08:06:15 EST 2004

> Bruce--

> > ...(W)e need to personally repent for embarking on our original course
> without scriptural guidance to do so and then return to walk in paths
> that ARE SCRIPTURALLY GUIDED.
>

> Glenn S.

> Very well put, brother.  Now, having listed negatively for us in your
> post various ills of what are NOT the biblical paths (organizational
> membership, hired clergy, clerical sermons, financing buildings, clerical
> titles, etc.), what specifically would you point us to positively as THE
> SCRIPTURAL SOLUTIONS?  [Oftentimes it is easier to point out the many
> problems than to offer carefully the much-needed scriptural solutions to
> them.]

Matt 23:6-11
6 "They love the place of honor at banquets (feasts of what kind?) and the
chief seats in the synagogues (places of pursuing God?),

7 and respectful greetings in the market places (religious mkts?), and being
called Rabbi (teacher\Instructor towards or of God?)by men.

8 "But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and
***you are all brothers***.

9 "Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who
is in heaven.
(or Reverend?)
10 "Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.

11 "But the greatest among you shall be your servant.

----------------------
GlennS - I would think we have all seen at one time or another, people stay
in such surroundings, thinking they could effect\impact\change the "systems
that foster such unacceptable conduct", but truth be told, even IF they
dropped the titles and un-Christ like conduct of flagrant dis-obedience,
will it have changed other
than in outward superficials?  I mean the thing that created the
unscriptural acceptance to begin, will now just be lurking under the
surface...  Titles, in and of themselves aren't the problem - they are just
symptomatic of bigger issues...

If we awoke one morning, recognizing the flaunting and disregard of what
Jesus instructed His people, would "repentance" (change in direction of
walking out faith in Christ?) be a scriptural proper conduct?

Interesting the one that walks away out of call to obedience, will be called
"rebel" - while the ones in open rebellion against Christ's teachings, will
be upheld as loyal sheep - awaiting their shearer's slaughter... Go Figure!

Here, take this straightforward passage of our Lord, as He shares from His
heart on such matters

Matt 20:25-28
25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the
Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise
authority upon them.

26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you,
let him be your minister;

27 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:

28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister,
and to give his life a ransom for many.

Now inspect this portion:  *But it shall not be so among you*

First, who is the "you"?

Answer: v 25  Those He has called unto Himself!

If it were a Gentile calling, might we expect to see this error?  And if
Gentile, then they might never see it as error, but only a natural
organizational structure.  Would this be indicative (a sign) that it isn't
Christ's calling?  Christ's calling would be radically different, no?

Again, you asked the scriptural solution?

Repentance...  Change the course of direction the scriptural solution?...

2 Cor 6:14
14 Do not be bound together (john 15:6) with unbelievers; for what
partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light
with darkness?

Tough scripture - no?

Thanks

JimP