House Church Talk - lists just updated

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 5 14:05:53 EDT 2004

Good morning, David

This may seem unusual, but I found the encouragement toward dialogue in you
post greatly refreshing, but especially the distinction between preaching
and teaching. The difference has been difficult to discern over twenty-five
years as a believer, with even the "professionally trained" of the IC not
being able to tell me the difference.

If it is as you say, then it would seem that almost the entire direction of
the the IC is to convert their own people! Please do not misunderstand me
for I do not intend disrespect or ANY form of condemnation, but in all the
time I have known Jesus, maybe five percent of what I have heard from the
pulpit had the primary intention of evangelism and conversion.

Teaching we got on our own, and when we tried to use it, boy did we get in
trouble! But, what can we expect when keeping promises, driving your life
with a purpose (to increase numbers if you didn't happen to read it), and
huggy, man to man accountability are the latest man made substitutes for
making disciples of all nations, teaching them to obey all things that Jesus
commands us.

When I mentioned self acquired teaching, I didn't mean that we held onto
anything strange or heretical or unbiblical. I didn't want anyone to think
that we were anywhere near the subject matter of Jude. <smile>

Again, thanks for your note. Let's talk, brethren! (and sisteren)

Earnestly contending,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the
full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the
schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but
against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."  Ephesians
6:10-13