House Church Talk - public meetings

NigelTree at aol.com NigelTree at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 13:15:39 EDT 2004

Jim wrote: I think I might enjoy writing more about these "potentials"
concerning HC
visibility IF we can get some flow in Spirit ...    Are there others that
might join in?

Jim, you have tempted me out of the closet. No, not that one!!

Our home church in Prudhoe is small in numbers but that has not stopped us
getting involved publicly. We believe that there is only one church in this
town, although that church is made up of a number of fellowships. (Whisper  it
quietly, including IC ones). We have, therefore, joined "Churches Together in
Prudhoe" and I meet with the "ministers" from the local churches for lunch
every  couple of months. At first, there was a certain amount of sarcasm towards
home  church, but over time that has disappeared and a respect has developed.
So much  so, that I have been asked to preach at the service for Christian
unity in the  Anglican church next January!

We have also been at the forefront in starting a project 2 years ago to
foster Christian work and ministry amongst the teenagers. Every church had a few
teenagers, but most of them felt isolated. After a lot of work we now have 27
churches working together and are aiming for 50. We have something like 10
different denominations working together, and our home church actually joined
with the local Baptist church to put on a 10 week Introduction to Christianity
 course for about 15 unsaved teenageers. We have a Christian Concert this
Sunday  at which we are hoping to see between 200 and 300 teenagers, both
Christian and  non-Christian. Lots more events are lined up and we are now employing
a  part-time Youth Worker to co-ordinate activities.

These things are exciting and necessary but we still remember that our
Christian walk is all about "being" rather than "doing". At the end of the road  it
will all be about relationship. We know that unless we are totally in love
with Him, we cannot love anyone else and our righteousness is like "filthy
rags".

I just want to say that although I am largely a "sleeping partner", I have
been on this list for several years now and value deeply the contributions of
my  brothers and sisters in Christ.

Be quick to learn, and slow to censure.

Your brother in Christ,

Nigel Tree