House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Tue Oct 12 10:58:51 EDT 2004

>Has anyone read Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership? I'd be interested
>in any other takes on the book, which so far I have found a refreshing
>change from past efforts on the subject.

    Hi Gary,

I have read and distributed a number of copies of this book as I feel it
represents an important step in our thinking - namely moving from "a
pastor" to "several pastors" per church.

Strauch fully address the eldership parity issue but... not the eldership
identity issue. In other words: Who were they and why after thousands of
years has the term for older ones come to be applied to younger ones?

Me, I was ordained an elder in my early twenties. :-)

Isn't it interesting, for example, that in the story of the prodigal son,
the jealous older brother is called by the same word (elder) that is
assumed to be a church official in the later NT occurrences?

Let's look for truth wherever it may be. It will all lead back around to
Him who is Truth.

   David Anderson