House Church Talk - -bakers and shepherds

DanG dan.dgordon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:04:40 EDT 2004

Claire Bennett wrote:
> I really enjoy this analogy.  Bakers work with a non-living substance.  They have complete control over the process and product.  Shepherds work with living beings.  In order to be effective, they must know each individual sheep and treat each according to its bent.

========================
Well, I agree with your comments, Claire, but there is the reality
that bread can be killed by the baker - I dunno where that fits in.
If the yeast gets too hot - it is dead.  If the dough is kneaded too
much or too little - texture suffers.  Too many other additions to the
mix and the bread is dry or soupy or does not rise, or rises and then
falls.  The science and technique of bakers depends a bunch on what is
ubiquitous as part of the creation - yeast.  A little leavens a whole
loaf ;-)

I hope you see I agree with your comments, just that bread is not a
dead or non-living substance - yeast has a life which it provides for
the bread.  Perhaps there are more lessons to be learned from this.  I
like baking bread - I don't do much anymore, but when I do, I enjoy
the process of yeast and fresh ground whole wheat and other stuffs,
then the mixing and kneading and the dough rising which all ends in a
a delicious staff of life product.
DanG ChicagoArea