House Church Talk - Tyndale the Reformer

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Mon Sep 6 18:13:03 EDT 2004

Gateway Films has some informative videos about the Reformation. In one
about William Tyndale, I learned that in his English translation he use the
word "congregation" instead of "church," since he wanted to convey that the
people of God were what the NT authors had in mind, rather than the building
and the institutions.

It is interesting to note that about 80% of his work was carried over to the
KJV -- but NOT the more acurate translation of this particularly significant
word.

He also used "minister" (as a verb), rather than KJV's "office of a deacon,"
and "senior," in places where the KJV used "elder."

Thanks to David Anderson, for giving me an "Online Bible" cd, to which I was
able to add the free download of Tyndale's translation. I wonder if any of
you have found other translations that help to more clearly communicate the
original NT writers meanings, especially regarding the passages using
"official" language of our modern translations.

Dan Beaty