House Church Talk - House Church and Home School Conference in SW Virginia

R.L. Johnson rjohnson at wise.k12.va.us
Wed Jan 28 12:40:36 EST 2004

COMING TO SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA!!!

Jonathan Lindvall
February 13 & 14, 2004
Mountain Empire Community College
Big Stone Gap, Virginia

-------------------

"Discipling Hearts"
Friday, February 13, 2004
9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Godwin Hall, Room 211
Mountain Empire Community College

The greatest hindrance to Christian homeschooling is... well, schooling.
This message confronts the tendency to allow the world to be our standard of
academic excellence. Comparison produces conformity. We are to look to
scripture for not only the content, but the methodology of our instruction.
A discipleship model that utilizes the natural benefits of a godly,
disciplined home is proposed. The challenge is to "Seek first the Kingdom of
God" trusting that "all these other things" including academic excellence,
"will be added" to us.

Training obedient children is not enough. We must acquire their hearts as
well. The real issues of life involve our hearts. Solomon asked his son to
"give me your heart." In this message Jonathan Lindvall explores what this
means, why it is important, and how we might encourage our children to
entrust their hearts to us.

-------------------

"Ultimate Romance"
Friday, February 13, 2004
7:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m.
Dalton-Cantrell Hall
Fugate Auditorium
Mountain Empire Community College

The Ultimate Romance seminar challenges parents and youth to question the
world's assumptions regarding the legitimacy and health of experimental
romance (emotional promiscuity) as preparation for marriage. The scriptural
alternative of emotional purity (as well as physical purity) is explored.

This message to parents and teens presents a major theme of Jonathan
Lindvall's life message. Using his own courtship experiences as an
illustration he proposes that the typical dating practices in contemporary
American culture, including in our churches, are counterproductive to later
marital happiness. He challenges that the "broken-heart syndrome" inherent
in "dating" is preparation for divorce rather than for marriage. Parents are
encouraged to plan ahead for their children's romances by developing more
scriptural expectations and structures long before they become issues.
Scriptural betrothal as an alternative to "dating," and even "courting," is
presented as a realistic ideal. The most significant challenge is to train
children to commit to only experience romance under the protective authority
of their parents. Betrothal is presented as an incredibly romantic and
scriptural alternative to the dating (or courtship) & engagement scenario
most assume to be healthy preparation for marriage. The Biblical strategy
for acquiring a spouse is presented. Here Jonathan Lindvall provides
specific instruction for guarding one's heart from being compromised with
someone the Lord does not intend as a marital partner.

-------------------

"House Church Workshop"
Jonathan Lindvall and Chris DeCollibus
Saturday, February 14, 2004
9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
Godwin Hall, Room 211
Mountain Empire Community College

This is an interactive workshop, with the presenters essentially leading a
discussion of the spiritual reality of what the church is. Much of this
builds nicely on the Ultimate Romance seminar, as the church is the Bride of
Christ.  They talk about the foundation of the church--real interactive
relationship with our Bridegroom.

They proceed to discuss the apostolic traditions in scripture, and contrast
these with the church traditions that have drifted away from the New
Testament. They conclude with a discussion of the basis for our unity and an
admonition to follow the traditions found in scripture.

-------------------

Miscellaneous

Children of all ages are welcome in all of the seminars.  Jonathan tells
lots of personal stories in the Ultimate Romance seminar that make it
popular with even young children.

"Discipling Hearts" is targeted to homeschool parents, although everyone is
welcome to come.  A nursery will be provided during this seminar.

"Ultimate Romance" is perfect for teens, young adults, parents of teens, and
parents of young children.  Please invite your friends, neighbors, pastors,
youth group leaders, and entire youth groups to hear this.  Let us know if
you would like flyers to announce this at your church and/or youth group.

All seminars are free and no offering will be taken.  Tapes and other
material by Jonathan Lindvall will be for sale at each seminar.

More information about Jonathan Lindvall is available at
www.boldchristianliving.com.  Questions about the seminars can be directed
to George Moss  themosses at naxs.net   Robert Holbrook holbrook at naxs.com or
Vindetta Fleming vindetta at verizon.net